Mistakes | Teen Ink

Mistakes

March 18, 2010
By NeverShoutLisa SILVER, Mountain Home, Arkansas
NeverShoutLisa SILVER, Mountain Home, Arkansas
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
In Life, there are tears, smiles & memories. The tears dry, the smiles fade, but the memories last forever.


A mistake is defined as an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment. Everyone has made mistakes in their lives, even people you don’t expect. God made us able to make mistakes to show us and others around us that we aren’t perfect. I’ve made several mistakes in my eighteen years of life, each teaching me a lesson in one way or another. Last year around this time, I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life, and looking back on it, I absolutely regret it.
I remember it like it was yesterday, my younger sister, Jade, had just moved here from California, and things were tough. The day before, she had told me she met a boy, I was ecstatic. All my friends knew my sister and loved her, so I thought I would share the good news with them. I walked into the cafeteria, a huge smile slapped across my face. I sat down, and began to make small talk with my friends. I was talking to my friend Bryce and I told him that my sister was dating Thomas, or ThomaLama as Bryce knows him. A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, leaned over at told me that she had asked out a boy I had a crush on, said boy shall also remain nameless. I just stopped; my stomach felt like it was going to come up out of my mouth. I got up, and walked to the bathroom, tears pouring out of my eyes; I had felt like I just got stabbed with a butcher knife. I won’t go into the details, but let’s just say after I walked out of the bathroom, I went off on her. I said several things I regret, cussing her out, calling her names that no one really deserves to be called. That day seemed like it was one of the worst days of my life. I felt pathetic, kind of like an old doll no one wants to play with anymore.
I learned that you can’t let people get the best of you, and you have to brush it off your shoulder. I also learned that if a friend asks someone out, it isn’t the end of the world. As you get older, you’re going to have more things come at you. I have since apologized to my friend, but we still aren’t as close as we used to be. The boy is my best friend, and I believe he is dating another of my friends, it sucks, but he and I are best friends, and we’ve both said we’re not going to let someone come between our friendship.