Wishing on a Dandelion | Teen Ink

Wishing on a Dandelion

The only time I ever felt truly safe, was when I was alone. When I was alone, there were no conversations to force, no lies to spin and no silences to experience. It was just me and my mind. I sat, reclined on the top of the sewer drain, running my hand over the smooth cement and thinking. Thoughts drifted through my mind, as I stared out into the field. The patch of grass was covered in dandelions. They had gone from yellow to a soft white, and when the wind blew seeds were carried away in waves of feathery petals. As I watched the seeds be carried away, I thought of him. In that brief moment, I decide to act upon a deep desire. I walked over to a dandelion, untouched by the wind, and gingerly picked it. I returned to the sewer drain and hoisted myself up, careful not to damage the flower, and again stared out into the field. When I was younger I was told you could make wishes on dandelions. You think on your wish, close your eyes, and blow. The seeds would carry your deepest desires and dreams off into the world to be granted. I looked at the flower laying beside my hand and thought about what to wish for. I stared for a long while into the distance while the warm breeze washed over my face. I could not decide whether to wish for personal happiness, or for his happiness. Suddenly it hit me; I picked up the flower, closed my eyes, and blew as hard as I could. I opened my eyes and watched the seeds fly off and could not help but hope that perhaps, my unspoken wish would come true.