The first time I met her | Teen Ink

The first time I met her

March 12, 2010
By Anonymous

I think it was the second day of class. I don’t remember the exact day it was when I actually talked to her. She was nice, but I was kind of shy. I was sitting next to the hottest girl in the class and she talked to me. It is the first time that it has happened. I’m normally the one people avoid and scorn. I remember that day perfectly. I walked in class on time. Everybody was sitting down in their seats and I didn’t want to cause a scene going all the way to the back, but there was a seat in the front row, right next to her. I looked at her, smiled and nodded; a polite gesture for someone that I didn’t know.

The first thing that I noticed was her eyes. Her eyes were pools of blue. Sometimes dark and sometimes light. Seeing the difference in the color of her eyes made me think about inner struggles. I wondered what this girl has gone through and in turn, what I have gone through. I thought about my struggle to stay alive. Well, enough of this. The next thing I noticed was her hair. It was pretty long and kind of wavy. It was nice. Her hair reminded me of the sun kind of. She turned to me and started to talk. At first I was startled at her voice. I asked myself ‘Is she really talking to me?’ I took a chance and turned toward her. As it happened she was talking to me. She asked my name and I stumbled over my words. ‘M...my name’s John.” She smiled “I’m Erin. Do you want to work in my group?” Would I want to work with this girl that seems nice? Of course! “Thank you.” I said, trying to keep my composure. Well, long story short, we did the little project that was assigned and banged out a good thesis statement. When class was over, I left, like normal people do when class is over and I thought about the person that I just met. I never meet people like her every day. She reminded me of a girl that I met in High School. Her name is Jasminique. I called her Jazz. She was cool and I liked her. She was the only person that I met in school who really respected and listened to me. I only met her senior year, so we didn’t see each other often. I wanted to ask her out a few times, but stuff got in the way, including my self esteem. I think that she was waiting for me to make the first move, but I was scared. Well, that’s over now, she’s in Alabama now.

Now, I’m in college, trying to get my degree. It’s good to meet people that seem like they respect me, even through my defects. It’s nice girls like that that give me hope that I can find someone that I can call a friend, excluding God and my mom, one day. Thank you.