The Sun is Always Shining | Teen Ink

The Sun is Always Shining

By Stephanie Burian SILVER, Culver, Indiana
Stephanie Burian SILVER, Culver, Indiana

The birds aren’t always singing, the flowers aren’t always blossoming, but the sun is always shinning. I believe life never should be taken very seriously and you should live each day like it’s your last. Love your neighbor, do what you love to do, and find your purpose on this earth. We are only given one life to live and it shouldn’t be wasted on complaining and making excuses. Instead, you should be thankful for all of life’s blessings and never dwell too long on our mistakes. A positive attitude is the key to living a long, happy life.

I have dealt with this firsthand during the winter of my senior year. I went to a memory care facility and worked with three women dealing with memory loss problems. I was instantly amazed at their positive attitudes and willingness to participate in the various activities. Not once did they complain about what we were doing, or had any sense of anger or remorse because of their condition. Since they were dealing with short term memory loss, they were still able to tell stories of their past, including the children they raised, the sports they played, and the relationships they made. They weren’t movie stars, billionaires, or solved world issues. They simply loved life, loved their family and friends, and lived life to its fullest.

I went home with a new feeling of gratitude and appreciation for everything in my life. No longer did I complain about little things that couldn’t be changed, but instead looked at all the positive aspects of my life. I learned that you never know when your life is going to change, but you have to be prepared to take it with a grain of salt. No matter what happens, something is going right. Although some clouds may get in the way, the sun is always shinning.