Running for a reason

I run away from my life. Literally. Yesterday I couldn't stand the pictures anymore. I tied up my running shoes and sprinted out the door. They were staring down at me and I realized that half of the faces, I didn't recognize. My mother. I'm 16 now. I was 7 when she died. And I don't even remember her. So I run away. Past all of the houses and the trees. I purposely run in the opposite direction of where people I know are. If someone asks me what's wrong, I smile...then run away. I'm sick of doing it, but I can't talk to anyone I know.
People treat me different once I tell them. Most just think that I live with my dad and my parents are divorced. But once I tell someone, they look at me in a different way. So I tell no one. I tell no one how I feel and I run away. Down the street, turn right. Down that street onto the lake path. No one takes this lake. It's deserted and quiet and rough. I love it. Halfway around, dodging trees and rabbits, is my favorite place. It's a mound of rolling hills up to the valley of a golf course. All around is a swamp of cattails. It's like Lion King and that is one thing I remember. She and I would watch Lion King.
I miss her more than is possible to express. And so I run.
Leaving my life in ruins along the way.
Leaving the ones I love because I cannot bear to talk.
Leaving behind my soul in pieces dropped from my sneakers as they pound the meaty earth.
I leave behind my stories.
I leave behind my love.
But I leave because of the pictures.
They make me realize that I run for reasons even I do not know.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 5:29 pm:
This piece was probably my favorite yet, the beginning was catching, and the ending was incredibly powerful.  This was so sad...I'm sorry about what happened.

FashionGuru replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 6:21 pm :
Thanks for reading so many of my poems Gymbabe! I'd have to say one of my favorites of mine is "The Crying Sky" simply because i like the ending like you mentioned. I'll be sure to read many of your articles! Thanks so much for commenting and reading!!!

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 6:28 pm :
It's no problem.  And I like that one too.