To The Most Wonderful Grandfather in the World. | Teen Ink

To The Most Wonderful Grandfather in the World.

By vickygrueber BRONZE, Singapore, Other
vickygrueber BRONZE, Singapore, Other

I was given months notice that it was almost the end for you. I was told, when I left Germany this summer, that I should say my final goodbye. Was I ready for that? No. Did I have hope? Yes. You were a fighter, and you fought till the last heart beat. You were everything I could want in a grandfather; someone who told me stories about the past, a journalist, my idol, someone I looked up too in adoration. You taught me many values, and I still carry them with me wherever I go. Your poetry was beautiful and when you wrote me poems, I was instantly happy. I still have them, all kept in a folder or framed up in my room. I'm never going to let them go.

Growing up, I didn't know what dying meant. I thought we all lived forever, happily. I always thought we all would be together, forever. I didn't know we had to be separated for years at a time, waiting for God to think it was our time to go. I thought it was our choice, and when we were ready, we would go. How wrong I was. Death is something inescapable. I don't need to go into details, but we all know that loosing people you love is inevitable. I was looking forward to learning everything you knew, and growing old, and having you watch me graduate high school. I remember we used to talk about that. We used to talk about you living till 100 years old. But I suppose, 89 is a good age to go. 

Hearing your voice on the telephone in these past few weeks almost made me cry, and sometimes I couldn't help it. You sounded so fragile, so weak, so ready to go, but you were fighting. You were a fighter, and you fought well. I suppose I could say it is easier for you now, as up in Heaven at least your eye sight is perfect, your hearing is perfect and once again you can see your father, your mother, and your grandparents. You can see them all again, and that will make you happy. That's what's keeping me going. You will be able to read all the poetry and books you love again, and you will be able to go for endless walks wherever you please. Your soul is free to wander heaven to your hearts desire. 

Your life is one that inspired me, as you were a fighter, but a lover, a writer, a caring father, a wonderful grandfather. Nobody can ever take that away from you, whether your heart is still beating or not. Your family loves you, and without a doubt we will carry on loving you forever. There is no limit to our love for you, and we will carry the valuable life lessons wherever we go. I love you, and I miss you. I'd give anything to hold your hand right now. I'll see you when I do. 

I don’t want to picture a goodbye,
with us, it has always been a see you later.
And when the time comes, you’ll be there, waiting,
and together we’ll walk off blissfully into forever.

I wrote this when my grandfather passed away on August 30th. I had always been so close to him and the minute I received the phone call that he was gone, I put all my emotion into words and this is what came out of it. I hope you enjoy it :)