Bye, Nick | Teen Ink

Bye, Nick MAG

The sun smiled down on the driveway, and the wind kissed the heat off my sweaty face. My brother glared back, his flushed face screwed up in concentration, ready for the next pitch. I rotated the wiffleball in my hand, squeezing my fingers against the holes, ready to throw my knuckle ball. A soft whistle emanated from the ball as it left my hand, and, with a blur of yellow and a loud whack, the ball screamed back at me. I caught it in my bare hand.

I tossed my brother the ball. It was my turn at bat. Normally we would have said something to each other, but not today. Today, there was no bright sun, and for us the breeze was akin to a hurricane. Today we played wiffleball not for pleasure, but for distraction from grief.

As the neighbors began to arrive at the house, we stopped our game to take pictures. All the subjects in these pictures were random, save for one constant. Our golden retriever, Nicholas, must have been bemused by all the attention he was getting. At 17, he had lost his hearing and most of his sight, but he was still grateful for every day. Yet today was his last. With grief in our hearts my family had agreed it was time to put him to sleep. “He’s just being a good sport now,” reasoned Mom. “It would be selfish of us to leave him like this much longer.”

At 5:30 my brother, father, and I left the house before the vet arrived. We all said our good-byes to Nick, who was now back in the kitchen. The tears that streamed down my face dripped onto his nose. He munched happily on the almonds I gave him, unaware of the pain of the boy kneeling above him. His eyes, a dull brown, were like magnets for my blue ones. I kissed his nose and the tears flowed again as I said, “Bye, Nick. Grandpa’s gonna walk you now.” I had to tear myself away, wiping my eyes and grabbing my car keys.

We drove to the river, and then to the ball field. My dad and I played catch until my brother said, “Mom says it’s over. We can go home.”

We must have looked like robots getting out of the car and marching to the backyard. Mom was sitting in the grass crying next to a bundle of white fabric. He looks so small, I thought, and the floodgates behind my eyes opened again, temporarily blinding me. As a family, we bore Nick to the hole near the rock wall. My dad lowered him in. We crowned him with flowers as we stood around the hole. The sheet around him matched his coat perfectly.

My mom graced him with a few words, and then my father and I began to bury him. Mom offered to take the shovel, but I shook her off. I was determined to bury him, to physically pay for every happy moment he had given me that I might have taken for granted. My shovel stopped, hovering over his head, the last exposed part. A final tear landed on the blanket, and I gently slid the dirt from the shovel onto his head.

We placed flowers on the mound that now covered our faithful pet. We stood around his grave, earth now separating us from a dog that hadn’t been able to bear to be apart from us in life. People claim that they have great pets, but I know I had the greatest. I will never forget Nick, and though the flowers have wilted, and no more telltale white hair clings to the rugs, he still walks in my heart.

Willflower.-.-. BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona

This is us. This is who we are. We demand attention.

You made me remeber when my cat and dog died. You are an amazing writer. Thank you!

Puyruf said...
Puyruf, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I know how you feel. My mom just told me we have to put my cat Josie to sleep by Easter. She's sixteen, and she can't get up from the basement anymore. This piece captures those emotions perfectly. An excellent bit of writing.  

ninja17 SILVER said...
ninja17 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

"Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who wouldn't give up on them."

I don't know what I'm going to do when my doggie dies...this brought tears to my eyes. You did a wonderful job. 5 stars!

on Oct. 1 2011 at 7:55 am
SidPusain BRONZE, Kathmandu, Other

The most skillful flattery is to listen to what the other person has to say without interfering.

A simple but a very moving one. I lost my dog and seeing the dog in pain was worse than safely putting him to sleep. Its not losing its helping it out of mesery. Still i miss my dog.

my dog Angel, my best friend, dide when i was eight, she was a puppy, and was hit by a car. a peice of me died inside, the other day, i sat down and cried twice  in a day, mourning that  she had died, im almost 13 now, and i still love and miss her with all of my heart, and if i could have 1 more day with her, i would give up anything in a heart beat.

HippieNamedAnna PLATINUM, Kansas City, Missouri

Let It Be-The Beatles
Music is the only thing that makes sense any more-Me
Make love, not war-a bunch of people
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I have five fingers, The middle one's for you-Me :)

exact same thing with my dog. and we out her to sleep ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!! but she was 19. and blind and deaf and i think a failing liver. idk. but it was really sad.

EternalLove said...
EternalLove, New York, New York

life is never what we see, but what we cant see, overturned by reality..quote from me

oh wow im deeply sorry..i have the same thing happen with my dogs :/

PrudenceFang BRONZE, Herriman, Utah

"Life isn't worth living unless you believe in something."

My dog Henry died in July. He was hit by a car. I can't stop crying now.

allezy SILVER said...
allezy SILVER, Charlottesville, Virginia

Sans, sans

I am crying right now, that happened to my lab, Phoebe and I feel like you're describing that day for me too. Excellent

crzybookworm BRONZE, Highland, California

"The only thing to fear is fear itself."

Wow. I got chills reading that. It was amazing and beautifully written. People get so attached to their pets, and when we lose them, its devastating. Great job.

jaquetem BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Get up and Raise your Voice!

Oh my gosh, I have tears in my eyes now. That was so beautifully written. I'm sorry about your dog :(

SecretNonConformist SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts

The only thing necessary for the triumph of
evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"Bless the children, give them triumph, now!"
Aeschylus, The Libation Bearers

very touching!

Marie-Evee said...
Marie-Evee, Grand-Falls, Other

make it count <3

Wow, very sad. :( I'm crying right now. This really touched me. Ilove my dog so much, I don't wanna loose him. He's my best friend. <3 He's the one who's always been there, throughgood, and sometime rough times.  Keep writing. :)

WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

In June, I went away to Europe, leaving my 4 year old cat Tiger, who had heart problems. We had given him medicine, and we saved him from dying from a stroke. However, half way through our trip he got another stroke and died... and I wasn't there. I still hurts to this day. I have tears in my eyes when I write this. But you know what, my cat, like your dog, gave the best years of their lives to us. That is a gift. Its never fun to lose a pet. But, hey you never forget them, so they are still alive in your head. You are really brave for writing this you know. I know how you feel.=)

loveibanez BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!" -Ben Franklin

Ah, I know everyone is saying 'i can relate to this' and what not, but really, we all can... I lost the world's best dog a few months ago... now that I look back I wish I would have written about it... to this day I still cry when I look at the last picture we ever took of him. You really captured this emotion well, keep writing :)

ryangallagher BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

Wow man, I almost cried. Pets don't live long enough at all. I mean my dog is my best friend. I can't even think of living without him...

on Oct. 27 2009 at 10:30 am
Jezabel PLATINUM, Ricmond, Virginia

In the end we will not the remeber the words of your enemys, but the silence of are friends.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

this is so beautiful

brianj said...
I was truly touched by your story, and can relate to the pain of losing a pet that means the world to you. One minute they are there nuzzling you with their noses, and the next they are in the ground. Reading this brought back memories of all the tears I have cried for the departed, and I thank you for stirring my mind. I had to smile at the last sentence of your piece, "I will never forget Nick, and though the flowers have wilted and no more telltale white hair clings to the rug, he still walks on my heart." It brought a warm feeling to my heart that had been missing for some time. Also, it was very clever that you compared crying to the "floodgates" opening. Once again, thank you for the memories that you have brought back. I hope that the misery of your loss fades to joy over time.

Madi_Jewels SILVER, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
i seriously started tearing up. i have a golden too

carrielynn BRONZE, Pescadero, California
This is a beautiful piece...wonderfully written, but also incredibly touching, and I had tears in my eyes after reading it. It flowed almost flawlessly and had really great descriptions.