The Person I Know Well | Teen Ink

The Person I Know Well

February 16, 2010
By Shauni BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
Shauni BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The person I know well is a boy. I know him like a book I read over a million times. I know a lot of people well but it’s like I know him more than he thought I knew him. Sometimes I feel like I know him more than myself. His name is Roy. But everyone calls him T.J. he is very tall he has little ears. But it’s kind of crazy because he can hear way too good with those ears. He’s dark. He has brown eyes. He has dark brown eyes.
When you look at him you see an average African American. You would think he is trying to come up and be successful. But when I look at him I see a whole different person. If you were to look in his eyes you would probably see darkness. No sign of emotion, just pure dark; when I look in his eyes I see a lot of hurt. I see a young man that is scared. I see a person who wants to better themselves and make it out of the hood. You see a street boy. A boy young African American, that don’t have anything going for himself. I see a man who’s trying hard to get out of the hood. A young man that is trying to get out of the life he got caught up in at a young age. When you look at him you would think he’s in trouble. He’s catching cases and can’t live on his own. When I look at him I see a man who’s hurting and needs help.
When I hear his voice it sends chills down my spine. It’s very deep. His voice is cold to some people and has no sympathy. It’s so soft and nice when it comes to me. I sometimes wonder how can he be the realist street boy around others and be so soft and warming when it comes to me. He’s been through a lot; I can tell by the way that he walks. He’s been through more than me and you. Maybe he’s been through more than the next person. By the way that he stands I can tell that he is a brave young man. The way that he looks at me I can tell he trusts me and only me. I can tell by the way that he looks at me that he is comfortable around me and not so tense and paranoid. The way that he smiles lets me know he is happy to be around me. The way that he looks at his boys it’s a weird and awkward way. When he looks at his boys there’s a lot of anger inside of him. You can tell in his eyes. I know he doesn’t trust them by the way that he talks to them, looks at them and sometimes treats them. Sometimes they deserve it, sometimes they don’t. But those are still his boys. The way he talks to me sometimes it hurts. I know he doesn’t mean it, but it hurts me badly.
I can tell when he’s lying to me. I see it in his eyes, his face and his voice. No matter how hard he tries to hide it. I know what he does from the time he wakes up from the time he goes to sleep. It’s like his daily routine. He can never hide anything from me because I know when he is trying to. He’s not a bad person. He’s a little misunderstood. Every person needs a second chance right?? But I just know him, Roy is like my best friend, the one I can tell all my secrets to. It’s been like that since I met him. We share a lot of good times and bad. He’s just the person who’s always been there for me. Sometimes I wonder does he know me like I know him. I have been knowing him for about a year, now. Sometimes I wonder does he know that I know all of this stuff about him. I’m pretty sure he does though.