what memorial day means to me | Teen Ink

what memorial day means to me

By Michael Finch SILVER, Park City, Utah
Michael Finch SILVER, Park City, Utah

To be completely honest Memorial Day usually means another Monday off of school for me. I’m sure it would mean a lot more to me if my family had ever lost somebody in a war fighting for our country. Although it doesn’t mean that much to me I still think about all of the other families that have lost their family members in a war on that day. I think that over all Memorial Day means that we have to have a day put aside to remember the people that we have lost in wars.

I think it is a good thing that this day is set aside to remember them but I also think that we should be able to remember them everyday of the year. I don’t think we should need a day dedicated just to remembering the people who have risked their lives for us, I think we should remember them in everything that we get to do in our everyday lives that we wouldn’t be able to do if they hadn’t risked their lives for it. I think we should remember them everyday of the year.

Memorial Day is a great thing for this country to have. It makes it so that we do not take as much for granted like we usually do everyday. We need to have a day to remind us that somebody had to make the ultimate sacrifice to give us everything that we have today. It reminds us that freedom isn’t free.

People die in all kinds of different wars and it happens all the time. People have died in the Vietnam War, World War 1 and 2, and many others dating back to the Revolutionary War, up to The War on Terrorism in Iraq right now. And we need to be reminded on Memorial Day every year that freedom isn’t free.