My Life With Autism | Teen Ink

My Life With Autism

February 10, 2010
By Redeye BRONZE, Verdun, Other
Redeye BRONZE, Verdun, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I got diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome when I was sixteen and I felt a bit scared. I didn't know what might happen to me. Then I found out that it doesn't harm me in any way. It is just a developmental disorder. The autism that I have is actually one of the two less severe autism disorders in the world. I know the symptoms of it, and they are eye contact problems, being picky at foods, talking about a certain subject over and over, and so on.

I knew something was different about me, and now I know why. I don't hate it at all. It is part of me and I will never take it away. It helps me remember important things and things I like. I can also do pretty good impressions, mostly Janice from "Friends" and Frasier from "Frasier."

After I was diagnosed with it, it seemed that autism was all over television. It was spoken about on Oprah, Dr. Phil, almost everywhere. I kinda felt famous. It was so weird. I have this disoreder, and no one is putting a camera in my face.

I felt also a bit unique because of my autism. I felt that I was a bit more grown-up then. I definitely didn't judge people because they thought I was different. I am. That's what separates me from those girls who think because I'm different that I'm a loser. I am happy that I finally know why I feel different and I'm proud that I'm different.

My story here is how I really feel. My heart goes out to all people who have autism. I feel happy that I'm not the only one who has it. I am proud of who I am. Thanks to my mother, I'm a sweet kind and gentle person, and thanks to my father, I know how to use a computer.

I think that about covers it, so I'm going to end this on a positive note. I REGRET NOTHING.