My Life With Autism | Teen Ink

My Life With Autism

By Redeye BRONZE, Verdun, Other
Redeye BRONZE, Verdun, Other

I got diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome when I was sixteen and I felt a bit scared. I didn't know what might happen to me. Then I found out that it doesn't harm me in any way. It is just a developmental disorder. The autism that I have is actually one of the two less severe autism disorders in the world. I know the symptoms of it, and they are eye contact problems, being picky at foods, talking about a certain subject over and over, and so on.

I knew something was different about me, and now I know why. I don't hate it at all. It is part of me and I will never take it away. It helps me remember important things and things I like. I can also do pretty good impressions, mostly Janice from "Friends" and Frasier from "Frasier."

After I was diagnosed with it, it seemed that autism was all over television. It was spoken about on Oprah, Dr. Phil, almost everywhere. I kinda felt famous. It was so weird. I have this disoreder, and no one is putting a camera in my face.

I felt also a bit unique because of my autism. I felt that I was a bit more grown-up then. I definitely didn't judge people because they thought I was different. I am. That's what separates me from those girls who think because I'm different that I'm a loser. I am happy that I finally know why I feel different and I'm proud that I'm different.

My story here is how I really feel. My heart goes out to all people who have autism. I feel happy that I'm not the only one who has it. I am proud of who I am. Thanks to my mother, I'm a sweet kind and gentle person, and thanks to my father, I know how to use a computer.

I think that about covers it, so I'm going to end this on a positive note. I REGRET NOTHING.

. said...
on Jan. 19 2012 at 4:42 pm
Since you have autism, I'm going to ask a question about it. I have a girl in my class, and she said that she was autistic. She always has a teacher named Ms. Lee by her side, always. She really isolates this girl and I really wish I could talk to her. My question is, why would someone with autism need a teacher by them all the time?

Indiegirl92 said...
on Mar. 8 2010 at 12:36 pm
To answer your question, I still have it, but I've made peace with it. Like in my story it is a part of me so I accept the fact that it's there. Thanks for asking me that question and if there are more questions, feel free to ask them.

Indiegirl92 said...
on Mar. 7 2010 at 6:56 pm
My teacher chose the name Redeye for me because it is a movie i wanted her to watch, but since i loved the movie indiana jones and red eye equally, I'll stick with the screen name from here on and indiegirl will be for when i post replys, thank you for who reads this story and i hope i get more nice comments.

Indiegirl92 said...
on Mar. 7 2010 at 6:50 pm
Thank you for the nice comment and i'm happy that there are people who enjoyed my true story.Hopefully it won't be the last.

on Mar. 4 2010 at 5:29 pm
fictionlover10 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
Since Asberger's is no longer a diagnosis, but you were diagnosed earlier with Asberger's, do y6ou officially still have it or is it just mild autism now? This was a great thing to read, and showed how it feels to suffer from something like this. My story, "Me," is about my sister who has bipolar, but yours affects you totally differently. Good luck! This was great!