My Civil War | Teen Ink

My Civil War

By donnascar BRONZE, New Providence, New Jersey
donnascar BRONZE, New Providence, New Jersey

travel to see what is unknown, read to understand what is unread, love to know who you truly are.

As I laid across the sheets, I wondered. I could not reason. I could not think. All I felt was what I wanted to feel. I felt the stingy tingly across my forearm, brush up my limb to my chest, until I shivered in the cold air-conditioned room. I never knew why I cut my myself. People always whispered in highschool when a scar would peek through my uniform, as I reached to grab a book from my bag. My parents thought it was a cry for help, a suicide attempt. I never wanted donna scarola dead. I wanted the being that lived inside me, dead. I wanted to feel alive, I wanted to feel anything. I felt hopeless and confused. I always stereotyped cutting as a modern day “emo” trend that represented a point and not a disease. I was happy as could be on the outside, but I could never get my outside to reckon with my inside. I felt a civil war abrupt every time I would feel overwhelmed. Overwhelmed when my mom’s alcoholic rage would interrogate my every move. Overwhelmed when I was not getting straight A’s like I used to. When I wasn’t weighing in at my perfect 110. When my boyfriend told me to run that extra mile or when he raised his hand if I didn’t compromise with his intentions. When I was not the person I thought I should be, I decided to kill her. To dig her out with my hands, to drag her mercilessly because she did not deserve the person I wanted to be. I wanted to be a parent’s dream. A boyfriend’s beauty. I wanted to be the poster child of perfection. I wanted what it was I thought, I dreamt, I wished I could have. But because I always fell short, so did she. So I continued to hurt her, but the only problem what that she was me. I always ignored her in my mirror’s reflection. I was in denial of my own existence. I did not see cutting as an escape. I saw it as a murder of someone that had ruined my life. I remember sharply making fun of girls and boys freshman year who partook in this act of self mutilation. I vowed to never do such a savage act. But the only problem is, its not so savage like when you’re so desperate to crawl out of your skin, to deny your existence and hope for a better entity to engulf you and take you on as perfect, a new and flawless. I wanted to be free. The blood dripping down, did just that. Its poison escaped my dying corpse. My soul trickled onto my floor. The beautiful liquid pooled at my bedside. I glanced into its reflection seeing her. Seeing me. I saw what it was I feared, love and despised, all together. Melting into each others images, I felt at peace. Because I started to realize there was no us. There was no her. Only me, alone, hurt and scarred but ready for anew.

I struggled alot throughout highschool with an abusive boyfriend, an alcoholic mother, an eating disorder and cutting. This all has made me become stronger and made me realize how far I have come and how far I have to go.

donnascar said...
thanks. writing has been my release, my everything. i hope people find resonance with my story.

PoAph SILVER said...
on Feb. 21 2010 at 1:43 am
PoAph SILVER, New Delhi, Other

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."
- Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

This is a really beautiful piece. I want you to know how much I admire you for getting through this. I have friends who cut themselves, and I really want to show this to them.