Teens with Mental Problems are "Crazy."

At fifteen, I've cut myself, taken anti-anxiety medication and gone off it (completely cold turkey), seen a therapist for over a year, stood up to my emotionally-abusive dad, been hurt many more times than I can count, had my blog watched because moderators thought I was suicidal, and have gotten panic attacks. Why? I'm one of the thousands (maybe millions) of teens that suffer from anxiety problems (in my case, Social Anxiety).

As a person with anxiety--and a person who has seen how a mental illness can destoy a family--I've learned a lot. What I haven't learned, however, is how the "normal" people can so easily call those with mental issues crazy. We're not crazy; we're hurting. In fact, most of us are even stronger than those who don't have a mental illness in the end. Why? Therapy teaches you a lot. I've gained self-confidence, a person to confide in, worksheets to look over. I've made goal lists and completed them. Best of all? I learned to apppreciate the little, everyday accomplishments.I know that it's okay if I failed, just as long as I tried. I learned to believe in myself.

Most people that have a mental illness have lived in a mental prision for a few years or most of their lives; they've been through their own personal hell and I assure you, it's much worse than whatever drama you think is the end of the world. Drama goes away within a few days, a week, or a month. But recovery after getting help, if they do, and the mental prision they live in before they get help? That can take years.

Worst of all? You can probably go to your room to escape the drama. They can't. The thoughts whisper in their heads long after they've been in their rooms or houses.

Next time you call someone with a mental illness "crazy," think better of it. You have no idea what's going on in their heads and if you did, you'd be envious of everyone that lives semi-normal lives, without the "crazy," "suicial," and "psycho" comments and names.

1234wahoo said...
wow very nice.... but is this a disorder or an illness? u c i suffer from anxiety and am having one of the biggest battles i ever have had with it, when i was little it was severe but i could escape it, now its almost always. i completely agree with ur paragraph about how normal people can escape the drama, as where people who suffer ffrom something such as anxiety cannot. i think that has been one of the hardest things for me to deal with, the fact that no matter what you do its there, this has... (more »)

Alwaysawriter replied...

Social Anxiety Disorder is a disorder but I mean them interchangably, even though they're not. Both groups deal with the same stigma about them being "crazy."

Sorry I didn't distinguish between the mentally challenged and the ones with mental illness. I didn't even think about that.

Tips:

One of the most common I've heard is just to breathe. Breathe through your nose, not your mouth. Keep doing so until it becomes habbit. When you breathe through your nose, slowly, it for... (more »)

1234wahoo replied...
yess,  i know that this will be quite a journey for me..... getting away from this all. haha, iv got more questions... what exactly is anxiety like for you? do u ever obsess on anything, something that youare almost positive isnt true, but u obsess and bulyy yourself into believing the idea u are almost sure is false, and then it bothers u all the time? (just trying to see if u are similar to me, its fine if not) 

Alwaysawriter replied...

No idea why it posted it twice. Grr.

Right now, I'm lucky if I get a panic attack a week. December 10th marked two years of me being in therapy and of being diagnosed with SAD (although I had it since I was in third grade or around there). I can still tell you how I used to be. I couldn't sit on the front porch for any length of time because I was convinced that my neighbors were staring out at me through their windows, even if their cars were gone or the blinds were shut. I'd st... (more »)