First Date | Teen Ink

First Date

By Rocky93 BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
Rocky93 BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois

"dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive"

A first date can be so exciting, yet, at the same time it can be one of the most nerve racking events in a teenager’s life. Leading up to the moment he arrives at your house your mind is racing with thoughts. Where are you going to go? What should you wear? Is it going to be totally awkward when you run out of things to talk about? Well I’ve been on my first date and no matter how nervous I was at the beginning of the night, by the end it was definitely worth it.
His name was Jeremy. I knew the basics about him and we had been talking on the phone a lot in the past couple of weeks. A friend of mine had been trying to hook us up. He seemed like a pretty good guy so why not try things out. So finally we decided to make some plans.

It was around 6 o clock and I was standing in my kitchen. He was on his way to come pick me up. I was completely freaking out. My parents wanted to meet him but it was pouring outside. I didn't want him to have to get out in the rain. So, I convinced my parents to meet him some other time. I ran out to his car and hopped in soaking wet. What a great start to the night. At first it was completely awkward considering I was sitting next to, basically, a complete stranger that I’d never met in person. I was thinking to myself, “What have I gotten myself into?” We pulled out of the driveway, there was no turning back now. As we drove down the road he said, “I don’t know about you but I’m pretty hungry." I agreed and he said, “So where would you like to go?” Remembering from texting, I knew we shared a common obsession with Steak n’ Shake. I told him my idea and we headed to steak n’ shake. On the way there we talked about music and sports. The conversation actually came a lot more naturally than I had thought it would. We pulled into the parking lot and got out. Noticing the double set of doors at steak n’ shakes entrance, he opened the first one for me and then I followed up by opening the second one for him. He looked at me, laughed, and said, “You are so smooth.” We got seated at a booth and the waitress came to take our order. We were both shocked when we ordered the exact same thing except different flavored milkshakes. We talked about different things and realized we had a lot in common. The night had been going pretty well.

After dinner we started to head home. Then I realize we weren't going towards my house. I secretly started to freak out. Then he looed at me and said,” There’s something else I wanted to do tonight.” We pulled into central park and got out. I was thinking, "What the heck are we doing here?” He took my hand and we started walking around the fountain. It was really cute even though at the time I thought it was kind of funny and cheesy. Then we sat down on a bench and looked at the stars. There were a few more couples there. Who knew people actually did this kind of stuff? It had gotten pretty late so he had to take me home. The ride home was silent, but not awkward. We just seemed comfortable and relaxed as we listened to music. We pulled in the driveway and I started getting nervous again. “Is he going to try to kiss me?” I thought. We sat there and talked for a little bit. Then I told him I had a great time and that we should do it again. He liked the idea. Then he leaned in and kissed me. I smiled and got out.

When I went inside I was completely happy, and also relieved knowing that I made it through my first date and actually had a great time. I was so proud of myself for staying so cool, calm, and collected. I realized that at the beginning of the night I did all that worrying for nothing. I should have just known that if I acted like myself everything would have been fine. It was fun and I couldn’t wait till the next time.

A great experience.