Those Four Words | Teen Ink

Those Four Words

By Jenni BRONZE, Kent, Washington
Jenni BRONZE, Kent, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Our brothers and sisters are there with us from the dawn of our personal stories to the inevitable dusk”- Susan Scarf Merrill. I can put being a big sister into just one sentence but that would not really explain the significance. My life before my little brother and sister was no where near how it is now. They are truly the beginning of my story called life.

I had always been the little sister in the picture and growing up with all older siblings never taught me what it was like. At the time my mom was pregnant with my younger brother Samuel I was only six, and all I really thought about was Barbie dolls and what I was going to do next to get on my older brother’s nerves. But the moment I heard “You have a little brother” it all changed from there. The feeling I had coursing through me at that exact moment was like no other. You know when you have done something and you are so happy and excited you can barely contain it? Now imagine that feeling but ten times stronger.

I still remember the day I went into the hospital room where my mom was at, running over to her bedside and seeing him for the first time. I could not wait to hold him! My parents told my older siblings and I oldest to youngest would get to hold Samuel…and considering I was the youngest I had to wait while everyone held him while I jumped about impatiently, But my turn finally came and as I stared into that cute round little baby boys face I vowed that from there on out I would be the best biggest sister.
A few months later the unexpected happened: my parents were divorcing. At that moment I knew it was never going to be the same. My mom moved out and eventually Samuel went with her. Luckily I got to see them as often as possible but it was different.

About a year later my family was blessed with my little sister Ellie. Again I felt that amazing feeling and yet again I took the big sister vow. As the years passed all three of us grew up and became closer, but still had many many arguments like most siblings do. However that never stopped us from becoming close; we even called ourselves the three musketeers.

There were many times and even till this day I feel the pain for my younger brother because he never got to experience what it was like having my mom and dad together. But growing up that never stopped him, he was proud of who he was and how his life turned out even if it wasn’t the best. I only wished I could be that way. As we grew up like any older sister, I didn’t want to be around them much anymore. I felt like it was time to leave my childhood behind and grow up. So all the building forts stopped, and the nicknames grew old and everything changed. Over time my relationship with my younger siblings grew distant, I got annoyed and frustrated with them more constant then I used to. Now at times I wasn’t the best older sister (only because they weren’t acting like the best little brother and sister.)

But it was those times that finally made me realize how truly important they are to me. My life would not be the same if they weren’t here. It took those fights and hurtful things said to make me see all they wanted were their sister back. They opened my eyes to something so much bigger then I ever thought. They are both my role models, my other two amigos, but most of all my inspiration. But that is not what makes being their big sister special.

It’s those four little words that make me forget all about the bad times. Those four little words those to me are so BIG! Those for little words I hope to hear always. Those four little words: I love You Jenni.

My little brother and sister inspired this!

brittbritt26 said...
Good!!! =)

Jenni BRONZE said...
Jenni BRONZE, Kent, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Love ya too!!

brittbritt26 said...
I love this Jenni! You are the coolest person! I love ya girly! xoxo =)

So glad your my best friend!!