My Promise | Teen Ink

My Promise

January 28, 2010
By Anonymous

If you died today and looked back on your life, would you be able to say you're satisfied? Would you be happy with what people are saying about you? Would you wish you had done more, said more, or just LIVED more? 

I know I wouldn't be completely satisfied. There's so much more I want to do. There's so many ways in which I could improve. There's a million people I need to tell "I love you" or "I'm sorry". All the lessons I haven't learned, the emotions I haven't felt, the adventures I haven't been on. I want that. I want it more than I want anything else. 

To be honest, I would be happy with what people would say about me. They would say "She was so happy and carefree.", "She was always laughing.", or "She always had a smile on her face." Yes, I would be fine with that. I am happy, carefree and loud, I laugh and I smile, and I enjoy life. It's not really what people would say, but what they wouldn't say. They wouldn't be saying "She changed the world...even just a little." or "She helped people and volunteered." or "She fought for what she believed in." I want to help this crazy world, I want to change something, I want to make this a better place for future generations. Yet, for some reason, I haven't. And if I were to die today, I would regret that more than anything. 

If I died today and could look back at my life, I would have a million wishes. I wish I would have stood up for what I believe in. I wish I had helped a little more. I wish I had said "I love you" more often. I could have said "I'm sorry" first. I should have let the little things go. I could have lived the way I want to. I could have been something great. 

When I die, I want to be remembered as more than just another nobody. I understand that people love me, that they'll care when I'm gone. But I want to be known for something great, or even just good. I want to be better. Better than what they expect of me, better than I am, better than what I'm becoming. And most of all, I want the world to be better. I want people to say "Wow, she really helped." or at the very least "Wow, she tried to help." 

I know we all think about this, but how often do we do something? How often do we go out and change ourselves? How many of us are who we want to be or where we want to be in life? 

If I were to die today, I wouldn't want to be just another high school student. I want to change the world, I want to fight for what I believe in, I want to be able to say "I made this place even the slightest bit better."

And so, I promise to change. I promise to better myself, no matter what it takes. I challenge myself to become a better person, and I double-dog dare you to do it, too.      

   


The author's comments:
I just want to change. And I promise I will.