The Fighting Fish | Teen Ink

The Fighting Fish

January 13, 2010
By Rachel Driver SILVER, Houston, Texas
Rachel Driver SILVER, Houston, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One morning, (a very early morning) in the beautiful city of Destin, Florida my family and I set sail for an adventures deep-sea fishing trip. Even though I was angry about being woken from my sleep at four o’clock in the morning, I saw the world that I had always lived in from a completely different point of view. The sun was peaking over the horizon just enough to light the sky with a warm honey glow. The world was asleep. It felt like everyone and everything was frozen in time except for me. I could feel the slight gust of wind on my face and the rocking movement of the boat under me. It was the most relaxed I’d been in a long time.

When the time came to fish, relaxation time was over. I was given the crash course on how to fish in about five minutes. Captain Mike dropped my line and gave me the fishing rod. Myself, being used to waiting a good thirty minutes before a bite, was not prepared. In a flash, my pole barely slipped right out of my hands. I kept saying “uh, uh, um, I think something is happening… HELP.” I heard the captain yell, “We got a bite.” My mother telling my Dad, “HURRY Bob! Get the camera!” When I realized how much force this thing on the other end was pulling, I screamed, “Take it, hurry! Here, you do it!” But what Captain Mike said next worried me. “Oh no little missy, this ALL you…” So under panic, I just started waking the pole around and reeling, and reeling, and reeling, etc. Eventually the fighting fish, also known as a King Mackerel was at the surface and mine. All the fighting of the fish, and the yelling and camera taking from my family was all worth it when I got to see the Captain pull the big, shiny, floppy fish from the water.


The author's comments:
When I went on this fishing trip to Florida, I experienced so many new things. So what better to do, but write about them?