The Fighting Fish | Teen Ink

The Fighting Fish

By Rachel Driver SILVER, Houston, Texas
Rachel Driver SILVER, Houston, Texas

One morning, (a very early morning) in the beautiful city of Destin, Florida my family and I set sail for an adventures deep-sea fishing trip. Even though I was angry about being woken from my sleep at four o’clock in the morning, I saw the world that I had always lived in from a completely different point of view. The sun was peaking over the horizon just enough to light the sky with a warm honey glow. The world was asleep. It felt like everyone and everything was frozen in time except for me. I could feel the slight gust of wind on my face and the rocking movement of the boat under me. It was the most relaxed I’d been in a long time.

When the time came to fish, relaxation time was over. I was given the crash course on how to fish in about five minutes. Captain Mike dropped my line and gave me the fishing rod. Myself, being used to waiting a good thirty minutes before a bite, was not prepared. In a flash, my pole barely slipped right out of my hands. I kept saying “uh, uh, um, I think something is happening… HELP.” I heard the captain yell, “We got a bite.” My mother telling my Dad, “HURRY Bob! Get the camera!” When I realized how much force this thing on the other end was pulling, I screamed, “Take it, hurry! Here, you do it!” But what Captain Mike said next worried me. “Oh no little missy, this ALL you…” So under panic, I just started waking the pole around and reeling, and reeling, and reeling, etc. Eventually the fighting fish, also known as a King Mackerel was at the surface and mine. All the fighting of the fish, and the yelling and camera taking from my family was all worth it when I got to see the Captain pull the big, shiny, floppy fish from the water.

When I went on this fishing trip to Florida, I experienced so many new things. So what better to do, but write about them?

on Jan. 21 2010 at 6:42 pm
SUCH a good paper! "A" worthy and really makes me think back!

Morgan3674 said...
on Jan. 20 2010 at 12:29 pm
This is really a great story. I loved all of the imagery and the way it felt so alive! it is really a great piece of writing.

Ashley said...
on Jan. 20 2010 at 11:06 am
Great story! I felt like I was right there in the boat feeling the breeze on my face!