Please, Humor Me | Teen Ink

Please, Humor Me

What’s the point?…Why? Why do I have to be like everyone else? Is that the fad now? Is that what our life as human beings has become? We sit here and judge people by how they look like? By how they DRESS? Seriously! Is this really what’s important? Not that persons actions or personality but looks! It wasn’t always that way why is it now? Life has become one beauty contest after another and truly I’m sick of it . What happened to the people who came up to you and actually said something!?! Like “Hello” or “How are you?” or “What’s your name?” no…we can’t go back to that…because that’s not important anymore. Really? So we’re just going to stick with your genius plan? Keep the cliques and gangs and little groups so what? So that you feel special? like you Belong? Like you’re all high and mighty? Yeah…right. I remember when I was like you. When I used to want to be like the kids who talked back to the teachers…who got in trouble…Who had a lot of friends, but there was always something wrong with me. How I didn’t have the right brand of clothes. How I didn’t have perfect hair. How I would secretly hang out with the people who actually cared about a little thing called ‘uniqueness’, who actually liked being different from everyone else, who don’t like to be like anyone else. How I was too fat. How I just wasn’t perfect. And then I realized… Why was I trying to change myself? I don’t want to do that! So I stopped trying. I stopped trying to be these superficial robots. I have the same friends and…I’m happy. I feel good. I don’t feel like I’m being ripped apart trying to be something that I’m just not. But I can’t help but ask what is all this? A way to capture the perfection that we all seem to want to be. What is perfection but impossible to accomplish? We are all so unique, so awesome, so cool. So I guess the main question is… why are we trying to be like everyone else, these robots, these clones of the stereotypes who haven‘t learned the meaning of the word Unique? Please, Humor me.