Why Me? | Teen Ink

Why Me?

January 5, 2010
By andrewt SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
andrewt SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

By rubbing my eyes objects get clearer and vivid. Hearing the rhythm of the heart monitor soothes the pain. Being in solidarity confinement, unable to move… to speak… trapped. My life has been full of struggle, and hardship. I couldn’t understand why I was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. Why me? It isn’t fair.

Only in gym do people realize my limitations, the true me. Running is easy… Side by side with others, falling back with each breathe I take, my physical fatigue. Feeling the football slipping through my hands, watching it hit the ground, the frustration. Why me? It isn’t fair.

I am only one of 560 students. I am learning that people can over look flaws and accept people. Thinking the first question people have is what happened? To my amusement, it isn’t, it is about homework. By spending over twenty five hours at work each week I have only limited time to get homework done. As soon as I get home from work I have adrenaline to accomplish my homework. I am hardworking and passionate to succeed in academics. I want to prove to myself and family that even though I have Cerebral Palsy I can still succeed in life. “If there is any great secret of success in life, it lies in the ability to put yourself in the other person’s place and to see things from his point of view - as well as your own.” – Henry Ford (Famous and Great Quotes About, 2004, pg.2). Students forget about my condition and accept me for whom I am. I automatically feel accepted by all and place myself in the shoes of a student that can accomplish anything they please.

If life was fair, people would lose passion and drive. The fuel in which makes our economy run smoothly. We live amongst war, destruction, race, and imperfection. If people can over all of that…More people would feel that they too can succeed in life.