The Defender | Teen Ink

The Defender

January 5, 2010
By Alexia Haidemenos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Alexia Haidemenos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Forensics wasn’t my first choice for an extra curricular, but when my step mom forced me, I cried when I received a standing ovation from the students. The class was given the choice to persuade an audience on any topic we preferred. Instead of “wear you seat belt” or the “benefits of eating your cheerios in the morning,” I chose to persuade people to be open-minded of gays and lesbians in our world. My speech not only won a sectional first place award, but it also took me to state where I successfully competed.

My big-fat-Greek-loving, but sometimes close-minded family was surprised as well when they heard my topic. I don’t think people should be judged on what gender they are interested in, but on who they become in life: a great father, hard worker, trusted person, etc. I took this opportunity to defend people who are discriminated against and to show my friends and family that even saying, “You’re such a f**” can hurt others around them. It’s not my fault my name probably helped DEFINE my personality. Alexia is the female version of Alexander the Great. In Greek mythology, he is known as the defender of mankind. Unknowingly, I stick up for the people I love.

As early back as I can remember, I’ve felt compassion for the underdog. From standing up to my 4th grade bully to being best friends with the not-so-fashionable-girl in class. You can either choose to defend adversity or mock it. I am the defender.