The Asylum | Teen Ink

The Asylum

It was late October, I was walking with my little brother to go to school. My mom still makes me walk him because she’s really paranoid about kid nappers. He’s only eleven years old so I kind of understand. Oh, there’s Stefan; he’s been my friend since we were like in kindergarten. I sprint to catch up with him.

“Hey man, you excited for The Asylum tonight?” I ask.

“Heck yes I am! It’s gonna be sick!” he said jumping with joy.

Just then we see Walker; he’s also been our friend since kindergarten. I remember we made a club called the Three-Musketeers. I know, it sounds stupid now, but back in first grade we were all best buds-we still are today. His parents are taking us there.

“WALKER!” we both yell in unison.

He just stops and waits for us, signaling with his hands for us to hurry. When we get close to him he says, “Hey guys, what’s up?”

“Nothin, we’re just really excited for The Asylum tonight!” I say; waving my arms like an idiot.

“I know dude! I can’t wait!” he replies.

The Asylum is this haunted house that used to be an insane asylum for old senile people. There are 15 stories in the building, and if you make it all the way to the top everyone you went up with gets a hundred dollars each! “How much do you wanna bet we make it to the top?” Stefan asks with a smirk the size of his fist.

“I don’t wanna bet because I know we will,” I said.

“I heard that someone went to the asylum and suffered a heart attack and died,” Walker said. his face was pale; like he was going to throw up or something.

“That’s bull cap,” Stefan exclaimed, “If that happened the family would probably sue The Asylum, and it would be shut down,”

School went by very fast that day. I was hurrying home so I could get dressed the walk to Walker’s house. Everybody was quiet in the car. I think everybody was scared. I finally broke the silence with, “Okay, I’ll admit it, I’m a little scared,”

“Really? Me too, but oh well. I mean, how scary can this thing be anyway right?” Stefan said.

“Yeah, Stefan’s right. Let’s just try to enjoy this, ha-ha and laugh at all the kids who come out crying,” Waker said.

Around 9:30 we finally get there. It was at Heritage Square, you know; that place that’s like a smaller version of Elitch Gardens? Anyway, so we’re standing in line now. I feel “Butterflies” in my stomach. It was cold out, and the smell of Halloween hung in the air.

Finally, it was our turn to go in. “Got your tickets?” the conductor asked us.

“Yeah I have them,” said Walker’s dad, “Here you go,”

“Okay go on in, see you on the other side,” the conductor said to us. His eyes were bright red. That’s strange, I’ve never seen anyone who had bright red eyes before…

“Come on Spencer!” Stefan yelled. I realized I’d been standing there for a couple minutes, thought it only felt like a couple seconds.

“What? Oh, yeah I’m coming, sorry.” I said, “Well, hurry up.” Walker commanded.

As I step inside, those “butterflies” come back to me, “Hey, any of you guys feel that?” I asked

“Feel what?” Walker said.

“Uh…never mind.” I said

“Okay, well let’s go,”

The first “scary” object that we crossed was a little girl. She came out at us and screamed as loud as she could. In a second she was gone. It wasn’t nearly as scary as the other 12 floors. In what seemed like an hour we were on the last floor. We were all fighting over who would go first; finally I just went to the front. The first thing that happened was two guys with chainsaws chased us back into the elevator. After that we just went down after we left The Asylum we went back to Walker’s house and spent the night. That was the most fun night of October that year.

Me and my friends went to this hanted house when I was in 4th grade.