My broke wrist | Teen Ink

My broke wrist

By Alex Roys SILVER, Houston, Texas
Alex Roys SILVER, Houston, Texas

I was sprinting down the endless field trailing the ball carrier. My lungs were about to burst into flames, but I stuck with it. I was thinking that I wouldn’t catch up to him, and that he would score a touchdown. Then I finally caught up with him after a long chase. I flung my body towards him, and we collided and I tackled him. We were sliding down the field, at intense speeds. While sliding down the field I was thinking, oh my gosh, what is going to happen. We slid out of bounds into a drain, but little did I know something extremely horrid had happened. I lay on the ground and looked at my wrist, only to find that is was discombobulated in some sort of fashion that was definitely not normal. I sat there and looked at it and didn’t realize anything but then, “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!” The excruciating pain hit me like a wall of cinder blocks. My coach repeated, “I see it, I see it, and stay still.” He called the manager to get something, so it wouldn’t move on the way to the hospital. I screamed in agony as I waited for my dad to get the car. People huddled around me, telling me it would be okay. They told me to breath because I was about to pass out. This experience was the worst pain I’ve ever felt, it was like someone was ripping apart my skin and lighting it on fire, poking it with needles, and then putting dry ice on it. Finally my dad came up with the car. I got in, and we rushed quickly to the hospital. My dad said he was going as fast as he could. It felt like the longest car ride ever, but finally we arrived. We went to the E.R. and checked in. They weighed and measured me. Then we went in the room. I kept looking at my wrist. It was about an inch up and an inch out, it made me sick just to look at it. The nurse came in and gave me an IV to stop some of the pain, but said I would feel dizzy, or nauseas.

After waiting for hours, the verdict was decided, “He needs surgery Mr. Roys.” The doctor explained to my father. They discussed it and made the decision on the surgery. It was a go. I didn’t know what to say. A sudden chill had tingled down my spine. I didn’t know what to feel. Scared or relived? I wasn’t sure but I went with it anyways. After waiting some more, I finally went in to the ever so white room. There were bright lights, and strange medical instruments around me. With all the pain medicine, I didn’t know what I was seeing. The doctor came over to me and put this strange object over my mouth. Then …… I woke up about 4 hours later, not knowing what day it was, where I was, or what even happened. I was very disoriented, and I kept waking up and then going back to sleep. Then finally I didn’t go back to sleep, I stayed awake. The nurse put me in a wheel chair, and gave me some really warm socks, that had rubber treads on the bottom. They were very comfortable around my chilled feet. Off I went in my wheel chair only to find many of my friends and parents standing around in the waiting room. I didn’t say much because I still felt funny from the morphine. I got into the car after a brief talk with people. It was a long car ride home. It was very silent and dark. The pain was over for now and I was not dead. I had survived this whole event, and was ready to go back out onto the field but could not for a while. Through this time I got to do some thinking and I learned a lot about my self.