My Solo! | Teen Ink

My Solo!

January 4, 2010
By singingpuppy BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois
singingpuppy BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen, nobody knows, my Jesus.” Ok, ok, I know what you’re thinking, why is a 6th grade girl singing such a depressing song? Well, let me back it up a bit.


I am at a Jr. High School in Prospect Heights, and it’s a huge building!!! I just got lost earlier trying to find my way to the judging room. Now I’m watching other girls perform and I’m not sure if I am just being egotistical, or if these girls are terrible at singing. They sound off pitch, they seem overly jumpy, and have really weird expressive gestures and facial expressions. OmigoshOmigosh OMIGOSH!!! I’m up next!!!!! I was dripping as if I were a melting icicle. To make things worse, I’m the first of my school with about six other girls.
THE PRESSURE IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!


My heart was pounding so hard it felt like it was coming out of my chest. Deep breaths… ok, “Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen…” once I starting singing, it’s like every worry melted away. I relaxed and enjoyed myself. I was doing what I wanted to do ever since I could sing. “… Glory Alleluia.” I was starting to sweat from the tension of the judge taking her precious time grading my singing. Finally, she said something. Unfortunately, my mom turned off the camcorder after my singing because the judge just said “good” to everyone else. “Wow, you were really good! I know I shouldn’t ask you, but how old are you?” I was shocked! “I’m 12 years old,” I said. “Could I take you home with me? Oh, in this day in age I probably shouldn’t say that.” OH MY GOD, some judge thinks I’m really good!!!!!!!! I was so excited I felt like I was on top of the world. Next was a girl who I always believed was a much better singer than I was. When she was finished singing, all the judge said was “Another good one.”


After I watched a few others sing, I went down to the cafeteria where there were treats and the TVs had the scores for the performances. Then the girl’s mom said that she saw my score and it was a PERFECT score! Her daughter only got an excellent score. I had definitely grown in my singing into a stronger singer from 5th and now 6th grade chorus, but this was awesome!


I guess whether I knew it or not, I always wanted to be in the spotlight. When I was a little girl, my brother and I would put on shows for my family (I was always the leader) and I often sang at get-togethers. I was always nervous until I got “on stage.” Performing was like therapy. I was calmed and enjoyed being the center of attention. One time I recall that I made up this huge show (including my brother) with dancing and singing. At the end of the show, I just wanted to sing ALONE with my “beautiful voice.” I’m so glad my mom got that on video!


The author's comments:
This is something that really happened! I'm not exagerating