8th grade memories | Teen Ink

8th grade memories

December 15, 2009
By Lily Xu SILVER, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Lily Xu SILVER, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The ring of the long-awaited bell is like music to an eighth grader’s ears. Chairs crash, books slam, and the floor groans as hordes of teenage feet stampede out of classrooms, eager to end the tiresome school day. The halls alone are narrow enough, but add in rows of undersized lockers on each side of the hallway, even extending one’s arm to turn the combination of one’s locker is difficult. It’s not just the lockers that take up space in these anorexic hallways; it is people, too. All of the hallways are jam-packed with students. Kids are everywhere -- literally. Some are at their lockers, feverishly dumping the books they need into their backpacks. Others are fighting their way through overly crowded halls, burdened with heavy bags. Every day, a large number of idle students stand in front of lockers or in the middle of the hall, waiting for their friends to get ready to go. In doing so, they block up the hallways, preventing other students to pass through with ease. The purpose of the adolescents at the end of the day is nothing more than to get to the parking lot and catch the bus. Though this might not seem like much to some people, getting to the parking lot from the school building at the end of the day is a huge accomplishment.