Tuning in | Teen Ink

Tuning in

Ever since I was little I knew there was something different about me. I just didn't understand what that special thing was. When I was in kindergarten my mom learned from the teacher that I was afraid of asking questions. I was screened by a learning specialist and diagnosed with C.A.P.D. Central Auditory Processing Disorder. This disorder can be caused from ear infections. My mom said I had a lot of ear infections when I was little. Those with CAPD have a hard time asking for help, retaining information, solving multi-step directions, and focusing. I struggled in school for many years with everything and I still do. I would hear things often differently than they were. I didn't understand how to do math because I couldn't see the way parts of a problem. It was like my brain didn't recognize what I was trying to remember. I was in special ed for awhile. I had specialists who helped me on my IEP. Individual Education Plan. I didn't understand why I needed more help than others and I hated it. I liked the idea of having one-on-one help. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I learned in 7th grade what was wrong with my brain--not me. I learned that I'm a stronger person in high school for dealing with my disorder and getting off my IEP. Getting off IEPs is rare. I have a friend who is in high school and has an IEP. She envies me for getting off it. I didn't ask for this but Ive learned a lot from my special challenge as my dad calls it. My parents still encourage me to do my best and do everything to help me! I appreciate all the help my parents and teachers have given me. I wouldn't be where I am without them. Just because you have a disorder doesn't you're stupid or that there is something wrong with you. Just work hard and do the best you can. I hope there are others who gain strength from me speaking out about my experience.

This article is about dealing with the fact I have a learning disorder. I hope to help others stuck in similar situations. I was inspired to write this when I read a story about a girl who has a disorder where she is afraid of social activities. I hope you like it!