The True Meaning of Christmas | Teen Ink

The True Meaning of Christmas

December 24, 2009
By MusicMaker96 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
MusicMaker96 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If music be the food of love, play on."


-William Shakespeare


Okay, I know as well as you that I am Jewish. But I love Christmas anyway. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling of love and peace. But I just recently discovered its true meaning.

I am in Little Rock right now, and I went to Kroger with my grandmother. We were under an awning hiding from the rain, next to a man from the Salvation Army. I dug around in my pockets, but didn't find any change to give him. I looked at him, and said "Merry Christmas, I just wish I had something to give you." He smiled a smile with one tooth missing, but warm.
"That’s okay, you gave me your heart. That’s what it’s all about." My grandma called me and told me to get in the car.
"Merry Christmas, angel. May you get everything you want this year!"

I thought about it for a long while as we drove away. Everything he said, the words between the lines. Then I realized that the true meaning of Christmas is giving your heart. Not necessarily to god, or to Jesus, or even to your family and friends, but to that of a stranger with a warm smile, and one tooth missing.