A Night I Remember | Teen Ink

A Night I Remember

By anab.2012 BRONZE, Guaynabo, Other
anab.2012 BRONZE, Guaynabo, Other

"nobody is worth your tears. and the one who is, won't make you cry."

As I stepped out of the car, I wasn’t sure if I was at the right place. It was silent, deserted. It looked as if nobody lived there, in the whole street. I walked towards the door, where I saw the birthday boy standing, as my heels made noise against the quiet of the night. “Happy birthday!” I said as I got closer to where he was, and gave him a big, congratulating hug. “Thanks! It’s good to see you.” He said as he pointed the direction in which I had to walk to get to the party. A big white door stood there, in front of me, and unsure if I was going in the right direction, I opened it slowly. Finally I felt like I was in the ambiance I was looking for, although it shocked me at first. The loud reggaeton music was playing, and all I could perceive were two large couches with people sitting on them, and a long empty hall with people dancing wildly to the music. The darkness didn’t let me see who these people were, but I recognized the first one as she stood up and screamed “Finally!” and ran toward me with a big hug. As I entered the room I started recognizing the different faces, all important in my life. First, my best friend, also my unrequited love, the guy I knew was bad for me but couldn’t stay away from. Next, I saw his best friend, the guy I wanted to talk to always but didn’t trust enough to confide my secrets to. And little by little I kept seeing my friends, the one who had recently been dumped by her boyfriend and was already flirting with her rebound, the one who was madly in love with her boyfriend and couldn’t stand a second away from him, the one who was single but wanted by too many, not good enough guys, and the one who was dancing with every single boy in the room while she tried to make her boyfriend jealous. At the far end of the room I could see a table with twenty different types of beverages and a DJ on the other end. The room was illuminated merely by some colored lights, and smoke made it impossible to see people who were more than three feet away. I wasn’t supposed to be here it wasn’t supposed to happen there. That was not the place for any girl to have her first kiss, and he was not the guy, but it still happened, and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

This is a true story, inspired by the night and the guy that changed my whole way of thinking.