Selfcentered People | Teen Ink

Selfcentered People

By Brittany duty BRONZE, Buckeye, Arizona
Brittany duty BRONZE, Buckeye, Arizona

There I sat starring, flabbergasted by the average teenage girl, disgusted by her immaturity and concerned about the morals of today’s teenagers. This girl knew her responsibility to her education and assignment that was given, but simply pulled out the beauty products to make sure her mask was perfectly in place, smiling into the round mirror with diamonds and making the faultless impersonation of half of today’s humanity. Her buffed and polished finger nails constantly brushing through her straightened blacker hair and I was surprised to find myself infuriated by her infatuation with herself. Then, went the bell rang to release the school day she walked out of the classroom without a backwards glance at her friends, swinging her hips and acting like a lion; the king of a ferocious and peculiar jungle.

The teenage girl was very self-centered and uncaring about the feelings and actions of those around her. She was a junior in high school: a jungle, where each group fought to be at the top of the food chain. She worried about how presentable she looked, never planning ahead, not caring about her future but simply made she was groomed and pampered constantly. Every time her buff fingernails would brush through her hair or a naïve boy would flirt with her, I burned to get up and lay a hand across her face, yelling at her to desire more for herself, to do more for herself. I fought the urge knowing that one inimitable day would come along and the lion would feel how truly alone she was.
For now she was getting attention from those who only saw beauty. Receiving constant attention from the opposite sex, I’m envious, wanting to have a fight to the death to prove who is more courageous. She doesn’t care what those around her think, for I cry at the thought at the sound of another’s dislike towards me. Yet it was worth it to the male ego to want to be with her knowing she is nothing more than merely pretty, illuminating how we as teenagers lack the necessary knowledge of morals. Should I wear the now a day’s fashion of low cut shirts and shorts? Maybe talking trash behind others backs would help and I too would be fit into the stereotype of being popular.

The lion, a typical popular teenage girl, acted as though the others in the jungle loved and respected her but when help was needed no one would come, for kindness must be show both ways. The self-centered teenage girl would soon find out there was much more to life than a perfect mask.