5th Grade Heartbreak | Teen Ink

5th Grade Heartbreak

December 13, 2009
By lightningbolt17 BRONZE, Destrehan, Louisiana
lightningbolt17 BRONZE, Destrehan, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
-Dont cry because it ended. Smile because it happened.
-A dream is a wish your heart makes.
-You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better then your dreams.


Elementary school was the best and worst years of my life. Those 4 years passed by so slowly that I can remember almost every detail of those good and bad days. One of them, in particular, I can remember as clear as crystal. It wasn’t a bad day, but it wasn’t that great either. I lost a great friend that day, but it was for the best.

I was in 5th grade, and my teachers were Mrs. Trueting and Mrs. Blanchard. In Mrs. Blanchard’s class, I sat across from a boy names Dennis. He was this really hot skater boy who had that rocker attitude about him. I was this tomboy with the split-ends who carried around a purse but wore Etnis. You know those crushes that you got when you were ten. You think this guy is really smoking, and you get all fluttery inside. After a couple weeks, we started to talk and tell each other about ourselves. We talked every day and got in trouble a couple times because we probably talked too much.

Weeks passed and we became really great friends, but, being the dramatic 5th grader I was, I wanted to be more than friends so, I spilled the beans. I told Dennis that I liked him a lot and thought he was really hot. He, in return, thought I was too! My heart started to pound a million times faster, and I felt like I was going to faint. My visage, so red it looked like I got into my mom’s blush, revealed the emotion in my heart. An incredibly perfect, weak-in-the-knees feeling, love surged through my veins like a tyrant river flowing through a rocky bend.

We didn’t go anywhere relationship-wise because we were 5th graders, and to us, playing footsy under the desks and sitting next to each other at lunch was “romantic.” But, I didn’t care. I thought that was the best thing in the world. He was the hottest boy in 5th grade, in my mind, and he was all mine… or least for now.

About a month later, he broke the news to me. He was moving to Texas. I felt the same as I did the day me told me he liked me except my cheeks were red with anger, and my heart dropped to the floor. It felt like the end, and I certainly didn’t want it to be. I pleaded him not to leave but it wasn’t his decision. He didn’t want to move either.

The roughest, most painful feeling, heart break filled my head with turmoil. My heart had broken at the mere age of ten, and I had no clue what to do, what to say, how to act, or how to deal with this. My mom had never gone near that subject with me since she didn’t think it would happen so soon so I was clueless.

That day was immediately turned upside down. When I got home, I didn’t want to do anything. I was sassy to my mom, I didn’t do my homework, and I sat down on the couch for the rest of the day watching TV. I didn’t know heartbreak could hurt so badly. I loathed the idea of him leaving. I detested it.

Filled with the thought of the end, Dennis and I went through the next couple of school days as we usually had. We would not be encumbered by the subject. We would keep our composures. Dennis’ moving was like fiction to me. It wasn’t true. Soon, I would have to face it, though.

On his last day of school, he drew me a picture. It wasn’t romantic or had anything pertaining to us, but it still meant so much to me. The picture was of me in my room with a wall full of CDs and a big stereo playing music. On one of the CDs it said “Love, Dennis.” Once again, I felt all fluttery inside.

During the middle of Mrs. Blanchard’s class, the intercom buzzed in and asked Mrs. Blanchard if it was okay for her to send back Dennis’ mom to get all of his things. I started to feel so sad and angry. He was leaving, and I would most likely never see him again. When his mom came to class, she cleaned out his cubby while he packed up his book bag. At the last minute, he started to jot down something on a piece of paper. It was his number but the number to his house that they were selling. He told me to call him before they left so he would have my number and be able to call me when they get to Texas. I told him I would, and we said our final good-byes. Then, he walked out and closed the door, with a soft clunk and his eyes on me the whole time.

There he went. He would never stop foot in that classroom again. The only means of communication that would be possible between us was this piece of paper with the phone number to his old house on it. I kept that piece of paper on my desk staring at it and playing with it. Mrs. Trueting yelled at me a couple times because I kept playing with it. Finally, I got to my final strike with her, and she snatched that paper off my desk and crumbled it up and threw it away! I was so mad at her! Did she know what that piece of paper meant to me? Did she even care? I wanted to get it out the trashcan, but she threatened me not to. I was about to cry it was so bad.

The young having creative minds, years passed and technology grew. With the growing of technology came the best invention ever called Facebook. Of course, I had one and was on it every day just clicking around. One day I was bored and picked up some old year books. I was flipping threw my 5th grade year book when I came across a familiar name. I immediately remembered that year and everything that went on. I quickly typed his name into the “Search” box and the result came up. Scrolling through them, I came to Dennis Buschbaum. When I looked at the picture, I knew it was him. He still looked the same except older and a lot cuter. I clicked the “Friend Request” button and waited in anticipation for about a week. Then, I got too inpatient and messaged one of his relatives, telling her that I was Dennis’ best friend from 5th grade and asking her if she could tell Dennis to please get on. The agony of waiting was unbearable!

Finally, he messaged me saying that I looked familiar but he couldn’t clearly remember me. After explain everything to him, he remembered. We started recollecting that beginning of our 5th grade year together. When I mentioned to him his last day of school, he told me that he had make me a beautiful heart out of construction paper that told me how much he felt about me. I felt rejuvenated!

Dennis now lives in Texas, which is 8 hours away, with his family. He skates, is an amazing guitar player, and loves martial arts. We’re the best of friends in the world now, and we tell each other everything. We do like each other very much but since we’re 8 hours away, we’re just friends, and I support him in any and all relationships he has, even though they’re not with me. This just comes to show you that fate always has a way of getting to you. I feel it was fate that got me and Dennis back together, but sometimes, fate sucks!