Acrophobia | Teen Ink

Acrophobia

By xobrittyy PLATINUM, New City, New York
xobrittyy PLATINUM, New City, New York

“Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep... wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding you of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have you.... The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her.'”

I don’t know why or how I started this fear, but it just happened. I have a big fear of heights. It’s not a deathly fear but I can get scared on tall buildings, looking down at all the little tiny people. The other day, I was scared putting the angel on top of my Christmas tree. I mean I’m not afraid to go on a roller coaster 5,000 feet in the air, I just can’t open my eyes or I feel like I am going to die. My dad also has a fear of heights. Maybe that’s how I got mine, maybe. Remember how I said I can go on roller coasters, but I have to close my eyes? Well, this one time my friend and I went to Six Flags and wanted to go on every roller coaster there was. She had found one that she really wanted to go on, so like a good friend, I went on the ride. Now this was the 2nd tallest roller coaster there. As were riding up the very, very long slop, I’m sitting there thinking to myself, OH MY GOD! Why is she making me do this, I can’t believe this is happening. I ask her are we finally there yet, while I’m holding her hand the whole way and eyes closed shut. Finally we get to the top and these seats don’t have the straps that go around your arms for you to hold on to. They have these little ones that go around your waist and they moved around! As we go down this crazy coaster, I am screaming at the top of my lungs, scared out of my mind. All of a sudden, the guy next to me had a jacket in his hands and the jacket hit me in the face and I couldn’t see a thing. I start panicking and freaking out because I don’t know what to do. The jacket had flown off and every thing was okay. The ride felt like forever and then a miracle happened… the ride stopped! It was over and done with and the end I could say that I accomplished it. I rode the roller coaster Nitro. I have never had another experience like that thank god! After going on that ride with my friend, I rode ever other ride at the park with no problems at all.

I wouldn’t say that my fear of heights is to the extreme but I do get a little scared now and then. Another time was on the same day at the park. My friend wanted to go on the Ferris wheel and I thought okay it should be that bad. We get on it and I feel fine, but then we get to the top and all of a sudden… it stopped right at the top! And the cart was shaking and I was like NOBODY MOVE AN INCH! I took one look down and I almost had a heart attack. I had never been so scared in my life. I was terrified and all I can think about was getting off and standing on the ground. I remember my friend laughing at me and telling me I was being a baby. Looking back on it I can laugh at it, but when it was happening I was not in a laughing matter. The ride had finally started moving and we going to be getting off soon. I was just happy to be on the ground again.

Everybody has fears or phobias. Some are claustrophobic, some have arachnophobia, others like me, are scared of heights. I hate that I am afraid of heights. I could never go sky diving or jump out of an air plane and I would love to be able to do that, but my phobia would stop me from doing it. Maybe one day I will over come my fear of heights and jump of a cliff and shot myself out of an airplane like I always wanted to do. Who knows, maybe one day it will happen. You never know what might happen.

this is my personal experience of how i am afraid of heights