One Treat No Tricks | Teen Ink

One Treat No Tricks

October has only one purpose in a child’s life…Halloween. There is one Halloween that I barely remember, but at least I remember it. I grew up in a Christian school and there is an advantage to it, which is the lovely harvest festival. At school there would be an event where you could dress up, play games and receive the expected candy. On this particular Halloween my family went and participated in the various activities that were there. The night was exciting and joyful but, all I really wanted was to go trick or treating. Throughout the evening there was much begging and most likely nagging my parents agreed to take me around the neighborhood for some more candy. We left the event and began the trick or treating journey. Once we walked up to the first lucky house I suddenly became overwhelmed with shyness. Being the good father that my dad is he announced he was trick or treating and I got a handful of candy. After we walked down the pathway to the sidewalk I said, “Okay, I’m done,” with a satisfied look on my face. Who knows what was going through my mind at the time. I could have not wanted to deal with the few words spoken to strangers or maybe I didn’t fully understand that you were allowed to go to more than one house.