Proud To Be An American | Teen Ink

Proud To Be An American

December 2, 2009
By CAMOBRO1921 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
CAMOBRO1921 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ouch! Is what I heard one day at my yearly camp-out to Camp Oljato; when my friend was in the lake for to long and got so cold to the point where his heart rate dropped and he couldn’t stand on his own. I had just gotten a snack from the dining hall and was walking to the dock when I saw him. I ran down to him and put his arm around my shoulders and carried him back to camp. Once we were back a t camp I remembered all my skills in first aid and I knew what I had to do. I told him to go take his wet clothes off and dry off completely and put on dry clothes. About ten minutes after he changed he said he was still cold, so I told him to go take a hot shower and tell me how he felt after. After he took a shower he came and saw me and said he felt better but his toes and fingers were still cold. Once he told me this I remembered a few weeks ago we were on a backpacking trip and the same thing happened to me ; I told him that I was going for a run and I told him to run with me. About twenty minutes later he said he felt great and thanked me for helping him. This is one of the moments I felt great to be an American because if I hadn’t helped him he would have gotten hypothermia.


The author's comments:
Everyone should have at least one reason why they are proud to be an American, just like me. I was inspired to write this piece when I got back from camp and the whole week went through my mind and I just kept thinking of that one day and everything that happened with me and my fellow friend.