The joys of Volleyball | Teen Ink

The joys of Volleyball

November 29, 2009
By itsjustme BRONZE, Vacaville, California
itsjustme BRONZE, Vacaville, California
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

As I walk out of the lockeroom with the 11 other girls on my team my heart begins to race.

The anticipation and excitement overwhelms my body as I walk onto the court.

We stand on the backline waiting for the referee to blow her whistle.

I look over to the 5 girls standing next to me seein the anticpation on their face.

I think to myself we're going to win to today, i can just feel it.

Just as I was about to open my mouth to speak to me my team I hear the whistle blow.

Everyone starts cheering and screaming as we run around the sideline of the court high-fiving the other members of our team.

We reach the center of the court wishing luck to our opponents and retreat to our positions.

I stand in left back waiting to serve as the referee checks our line-up.

Im setting today.

Im Captain.

Im first server.

This first point will set the pace for the game.

The anticipation turns into fear.

Im the captain I can't mess up.

The referee finished checking the line-ups and the line judge throws me the ball so I can prepare to serve.

As I hold to ball in my hands, I can feel myself start to relax.

The look up at the referee letting her know I am ready to serve and she blows her whistle letting me know it's okay for me to serve.

I spin the ball in my hands looking for a spot to serve to.

Right-Back.

The girl is standing straight up scanning the crowd, now even paying attention to the game.

I put my right arm up and give the ball a nice high toss and SMACK, the ball glides over the net and falls to the ground in front of the distracted girl.

She looks up in confusion as to what happened and looks at her coach who simply told her to get low and pay attention.

The ball comes back to me as I take my place in the serving position.

The referee blows her whistle and I scan the court.

Dead center.

The is a huge gap.

I throw my right arm up and give the ball a nice high toss and SMACK, it glides over the net and falls to the ground.

This brings a smile to my face.

The coach tells her team to pinch the middle.

The ball comes back to me as I take my place in the serving position.

The referee blows her whistle and I scan the court.

Left corner.

No one is there.

I put my right arm up and give the ball a nice high toss and SMACK, the ball glides over the net and falls to the ground.

It's a close call.

The line-judge points her flag down at the ground telling the referee that the ball was in.

I wipe the sweat from my face and take a breath of relief.

I look at my coach who tells me good serve.

I look at my team who all tell me good serve and give me high fives.

The joys of volleyball.

Doing something good or amazing in a game and have people compliment you for it.

Serve a ball that no one can pick up.

Watching as the opposing team's coach makes substitutions for the player that was unable to pass your serve.

Serving the ball at that new substitution who is also unable to pass your serve.

Watching the scoreboard and seeing your score go up and up.

Knowing that you played a great game.

These are the joys of volleyball.