Letter to Mom | Teen Ink

Letter to Mom

October 30, 2009
By keadancer BRONZE, Porter, Texas
keadancer BRONZE, Porter, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mom,

I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart! What would I do with out you? I realize that more and more everyday, and I am grateful for all of your help: from helping me to study for a test, to checking my homework, to listening to all of my crazy stories, for giving great advice, and especially for all of your help and input when I was trying out for Bluebonnet drill team.
Ever since I was a little girl I have listened to all of your stories about high school and the drill team. I even remember trying on some of your old uniforms thinking . . . one day I’m going to be a Bluebonnet too! When it finally became my turn to be on the team, you were right there beside me (and behind me pushing and encouraging me when I needed it) every step of the way. Thank you! I will always remember your support and encouragement in helping me fulfill my dream, from signing me up for dance classes, to helping me complete the dance team tryout essays. You gave me the courage and confidence I needed to get through a very stressful week.

Can you remember that tryout week? I will never forget the first day walking into the high school gym with butterflies in the pit of my stomach, nervous and ready to get it over with. There were so many girls trying out, and lots of them were great dancers. I began doubting myself, thinking that I wasn’t good enough and that I didn’t even stand a chance. After the second day I was about ready to call it quits and just give up. If it were not for you I probably wouldn’t have gone back. But, there you were comforting me and giving me strength. You kept reminding me that it was all in God’s hands, and that if I was meant to make it I would, and if I didn’t then he had something else planned for me. Of course, I went back and gave it my all, with a positive and trusting attitude.

Finally, it was the day of tryouts and there you were. I loved the card you put in my lunch; it made me smile and gave me confidence. After school, just when I needed you, you were with me. I was so afraid and terrified waiting outside to see if my number would be posted and I would become a member of the team. Do you have any idea how much it meant to me that day to have you by my side? You always give me an inner peace, an ease that I feel throughout my being. Before I knew it the signs were posted and there was my number! I was so thrilled, it was like a dream come true.
Now that I am in my third year of Bluebonnets, I am amazed at what a whirlwind, time consuming, stress induced, memory making experience this has been. I know at times I drive you crazy with Bluebonnets, but I want you to know how proud I am to have you supporting me in the good, the bad, and the ugly times of my drill team experience. I appreciate you more than I can say, and it has always been comforting to know you’ve got my back. Thank you for your help with officer tryouts and for basically being my equal officer as Historian last year. Who would have ever dreamed I would have ended up with that job by myself? I couldn’t have done it without you. We make a great team!
Thank you for everything Mom, I love you very much!
With all my heart,
Kristen
P.S. - Can I pack you in my suitcase when I go off to college?

The author's comments:
My mom inspired me to write this. She is always helping me out, and I don't think I ever say thank you enough.