My Memory Button | Teen Ink

My Memory Button

By John Contreras BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
John Contreras BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

My memory button belonged to Barack Obama the president of the United States. I know it sounds unbelievable but it's true! It was on August 24, 2009 at a Back to School speech in Dallas, TX.

Coming all the way from Washington DC shows that he cares about education and that it is very important. Barack Obama is usually at the White House in DC but he also takes time to travel all over the United States and to different countries. During the education speech Barack Obama was wearing a white button up shirt with a bright red tie, and a black suit to cover it all.

While Barack Obama was giving his speech he made some very important facts about what would happen in our future if we dropped out or stayed in school. When he said what we wanted as a career I didn't know what to say or even think about what I would be doing for the rest of my life. That's when I knew I had to get my act together and focus on school. I will never forget that day, the first day of school.

I will always keep this button as my motivation to stay in school and graduate. Whenever I feel like I don't want to do any work or not come to school, I look at the button and remember what the president of the United States said about my future and my hope.