One Chance, Last Glance | Teen Ink

One Chance, Last Glance

Every school has that kid. You know the one. The one that can’t make it past security in an airport without taking off half his face. The one whose jeans are too tight and his shoes are too big. Of the hair that hasn’t been fried, it’s been dyed too many colors of the rainbow to be able to tell whether its supposed to be blue or green, and you really don’t care anyways. His shirts reminisce of old Hollywood Undead concerts and no matter the cost he’s always wearing a studded belt that makes him look just that much more depressing. He’s the type of guy you see at McDonalds politely, yet boringly, awaiting your order as you deicide if the Big Mac will make you butt look fat. Maybe you see him in the halls, maybe you see him at the mall, but you don’t give him a second glance. Don’t give him the time of day he yearns for.

You see him in his shell, all holed up. Putting up a shield that deflects all attempts to be social. And you never wonder why this is, you just take the easy route and figure he’s anti-social or too high to care about anyone but himself. But that’s not the case. His fingers are pure of weed. Never has he allowed the poison of beer to linger on his tongue. His scars are raw from being beaten a number of times by verbal insults that cut his flesh like a knife. And each time, his defense weakens, only if for a moment, before he builds it up again, stronger than the last time. It’s his adaptation. His only way to live without pain. And no one seems to understand why he wont break out of his shell and put forth the energy needed to make a friend. But it’s because…

…none of you have given me the chance.

on Nov. 27 2009 at 5:34 am
I like how you've written out your heart. Its not easy to do so.

guzpacho said...
on Nov. 25 2009 at 8:37 am
this is a very good story because it is true and i cant relate but i do understand how it is to not give a person one word that might even make their day . this inspires me to do so!!

KiraKira PLATINUM, Cardiff By The Sea, California

Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

I completley understand. I like this article, and I think that by writing and posting this you are stepping out of your shell just a little bit. Its a start. I understand.

emilysbreakfast GOLD, Alto, Michigan
i live in michigan too.

and i would give you a chance.

most people think im too straight edge to go out of social circles, but if there's one thing highschool has taught me, its usually the "wierd" kids that are the ones worth knowing.

on Nov. 19 2009 at 8:46 am
Crystal_McMillion GOLD, Peach Bottom, Pennsylvania

Love hurts worse than hate because when you love some one you have to love all that comes with them.

I like this a lot and I know how you feel.. it's easier though if you start talking to people.. I bet a lot of girls/guys like you its just they won't admit it because everyone cares what people think or might say if everyone don't think the same..