Washington, D.C. Trip | Teen Ink

Washington, D.C. Trip

The city of Washington, D.C. is a fascinating city that has memorials, museums, monuments, and government buildings. You could learn about the U.S. history there or join the sightseeing. I enjoyed most of my time on my trip to Washington, D.C.

When I got the news from my safety patrol teacher that I was chosen to go on a 7 day trip to Washington, D.C., I got excited. When I got the information in the mail, I couldn’t wait to go on the trip. The trip was about a month away. I had about one month to get ready for the trip. As the time passed the day of the trip had come. My parents and I woke up early to go to Madison. My friend, Susan also got to go on the trip. My parents also pick her and her mom up. The sleepy drive to Madison took four hours. The buses were waiting for the safety patrol students to go to Washington, D.C. in Madison. We got there a little too early and no one was there. So, we went to Walgreens. When we got back there were many people. Susan and I said our goodbyes and the trip began. The drive to Washington, D.C. was two days. During these two days we stopped for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When we got to Washington, D.C. our tour started. A tour guide took our bus to see a house about Lincoln. Next, we went to see Jefferson Memorial. We learned a little history about the place. Later on, after dinner, we checked into the hotel to sleep for the night. The next day, after breakfast, we went on a tour again. This time we visited the Lincoln Memorial and we didn’t have a tour guide. Next, we visited the Washington Monument. We waited about 30 minutes until it was our group’s turn to go inside the monument. When we got up to the top of the monument it was so high up. When I looked down, from the windows, I barely saw the people. I could see more than five blocks away from the monument. After about 15 minutes enjoining the time in the monument, we got to go back down to the ground. Then we took the bus to see the White House. Eventually, we went to dinner and back to the hotel to sleep for the night. When we woke up, we had to pack and put our suitcases in the bus. We had breakfast. Afterward, Susan and I visited the National Air and Space Museum. We didn’t need to stay with our group. Later on, after lunch, we took the bus to the Gettysburg Battlefields. We learned a little history there, also. After the tour in Gettysburg, we got on the bus and went home. The bus ride to Wisconsin took two days.

As a result, I had a good time away from home. I was glad to be home again. Washington, D.C. is a good touring place.