Live Life On The Edge

People say I’m dark.
I just think they get frightened because I’m different.
I don’t dress in the latest fashions or wear my makeup like they do. I listen to different kinds of music and have non-traditional idols. My opinions don’t always agree with theirs. My view are my own, ones I have come to through life experiences..theirs are what they were told by others. They know nothing outside of book smarts. They were taught that is what matters and will get them through life. I live my life learning more by street smarts. It’s just the way I am. I figure things out for myself, and don’t like to just get things always handed to me.
They are scared of what they don’t know; what they don’t understand. Of course they would never admit to this, so they cover their fears up with hate.
They pretend they hate me, they act like I am weird; a freak. I don’t care what they think, or how they act. Actually, it entertains me. It makes me want to give them a bigger taste of my bizarreness. In a way, I feed off their reactions.
But inside they know that we are all a little weird in our own ways. They know deep down that they think the unusualness that is me is somewhat interesting, entertaining, and exciting.
I think they are afraid to get to know me, dreading that they may have something in common with a person like me. I believe that if they actually took the time to talk to me, they would see I am much more like them than they ever imagined.
Everybody has that part of themselves that questions the world, and everything in it. That wonders about life and its great and many mysteries. That wants to see what it would be like if they dared do something different from what their friends do, what it would be like to rebel, and color outside the lines. Everyone has that other person deep down inside them, but in my case, I bring that person to the surface. I am that little curious voice inside you head.
Think what you will about the way I live my life.
But in the words of one of my heroes, Marilyn Monroe, “When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them…Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

ShadowThief13 said...
I feel the same way. I go out of my way to be different. Being normal is boring!

13islucky said...
i feel this way about myself, i really like the way you end on a quote

adastraabextra This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
wow thanks so much. hearing people's feedback honestly means a lot to me, even constructive critisism. its always comforting to hear about someone elses thoghts or stories when you can relate so much to them, it can make you feel less alone, i guess, sometimes. if you ever wanna talk or anything just let me knw, i can gve you my email address or something if want. :)
and haaha i like your name i always used to say since i was little that 13 was my favortie number and when people as... (more »)

13islucky replied...
I'm glad that the feedback means alot to you and it makes me feel good to know that i am not alone with those emotions... thanks for the comment on my screen name i have the same response to when others ask why it's interesting how everyone gets all confused lol:-)

aww lol thanks again hun!!
<33