My Home | Teen Ink

My Home

October 16, 2009
By Anonymous

I have one house and one home, but they are completely different. My house is located in the city of Pittsburgh; however my home is in rural Indiana.
Home is not something concrete, but rather an abstract concept. It is defined by one’s memories. The more positive memories and the more familiarity one has with a place, the more likely one is to call it home. My personal experiences at Culver convey this idea well.
Throughout my first few weeks at Culver, I did not even think of it as my school. I lived in a foreign environment with a foreign group of people. My memories associated with Culver were minimal, and therefore, I was emotionally detached. However, this gradually changed. As I began making friends, learning my way around, and finding activities which I was passionate about, I developed positive memories associated with Culver. I was proud to say I went there.
Eventually, my school began morphing into my home away from home. Although I had had a lifetime of memories in my house in Pittsburgh, the more recent ones were at Culver. Additionally, as I became more accustomed to the lifestyle at Culver, my experiences in Pittsburgh seemed more distant from me. Therefore, I felt divided; I could belong in either of the two places.
Now, having lived here for four years, Culver is what comes to my mind when I think of home. I have more memories of my friends than I have of my family, and I can visualize my barracks better than I can visualize my house. Although I am always welcome to my house, I feel a stronger sense of comfort and familiarity here at Culver. For now, Culver is my home.
Home is a mobile concept because it changes as one lives and acquires new memories. My experiences with Culver are a perfect example of this. In the end, however, the idea of home is special because it is personal.