A Day at work with my Dad | Teen Ink

A Day at work with my Dad

By JessicaT GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland
JessicaT GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

My dad is a dump truck driver and a landscaper. His truck is an International. Today he picked me up at 9:30am. We got breakfast at Burger King. Then we went over to the job site. When we got there my Dad’s friend was there. His name is Jimmy Stevens. He is just like my Dad because he drives a dump truck. They talk and then we get to work at 11:00. First we level out the dirt. We are picking up rocks, bricks, and roots. We had to pull out a bush. The roots were 2½ inches thick. We had to pull it out with a chain and my dad’s truck. Around 1:00 we went to go get my dad’s dump truck. We had to go get about 3 tons of top soil for the person’s front yard. We got the top soil from ATC the Stone Store. We got on a truck scale after they loaded top soil on the dump truck using a rubber tire loader. We weighed 45,560 pounds and it cost $1,100 dollars. We were only to get about 3 to 4 tons of top soil. When we left the stone store a truck was watering the dirt road to keep the dirt dust from flying up when dump trucks drive over it. When we got back to the job site my dad’s friend had left. He had taken our wheelbarrow. We borrowed one from the guy next store. When we had to unload the dirt I had to hold a big orange flag in the street and direct traffic. Everyone followed my directions and my dad said I was a good direct. There yard was about 104ft2 x 99ft2. We had to use both shovels and our racks to spread the top soil. We have been working in the sun all day. I was hot. When we where finished we had about 2 tons left but we couldn’t weigh it to know if we are right or not. They are going to use it in there back yard because there is a trench in their backyard and they need to fill it. We had to throw all the bricks and roots in the back of the dump truck. We were finished by 4:30pm. My mom came and picked me up when she was coming home from work around 5:03pm. Today I got to see and work with my dad while having fun. I wish I could go tomorrow and help him finish, but my Mom says NO! You’re going to school, the more you know the further you go and you won’t have to use so much muscle.