Suicide is No Laughing Matter | Teen Ink

Suicide is No Laughing Matter

October 7, 2009
By RandomDork SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
RandomDork SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
7 articles 3 photos 1 comment

One Sunday I had gone to church it was just like every other Sunday.The youth teacher had been sick for a while and was suppose to move on to some other book lesson but decided to do a lesson from the old book. The lesson was titled something with suicide.She said she had a feeling like she Really need to teach this lesson so she did. My church is a small church so all the youth know each other and have grown up with each other. So when some of the other youth members started joking about suicide and cutting it shcoked me at first.I'm usally really good about making my opinion known during the lessons, but this lesson was different. I was trying to get the other youth members to see that suicide is no joking matter, but the only thing that could make them see why not was my own experiences. I was afraid to tell them of who I really had been, I was afraid they would't except me anymore.Some of my closest friends didn't even know of who I had been. Through out the rest of the week the memories of that Sunday kept nagging at me.I realized I needed to let the other youth members know why it bothered me so much that they would laught about suicide. The next Sunday I told my youth teacher that I was offended that some of the other teens had joked about suicde after she had asked me what was wrong. So we decided I would tell everybody when class had started. So I did. I told them how many times I had a gun held to my head ready to pull the trigger , how I had the bottle of pills in my hand ready to take far more than recommended, and how many times I held the sharpest knife I could find at home in my hands debating weather or not I wanted to die or live. I told them of my friends that do the same thing, and of the family members that almost ended their lives too.I told them how it has affected my life and was no laughing matter. That is when it hit them, when someone they knew had delt with suicide. Throught this I have realized so much. People really don't understand suicide, some are afraid of it, and some want to deny it exist. Suicide is among us and sadly it is here to stay.People really need to know everything about suicide, people need to hear the stories. About one million people die every year due to suicide. Suicide is among the three leading causes of death among the ages of 15-44 and suicide attempts are up to 20 times more frequent than completed suicides. So even though some one isn't dead doesn't mean they haven't tried. Suicide is also the third leading death among 15-24 year olds. So even though you don't think someone you know has tried to commit suicide there is a chance they may have. Suicide is no laughing matter, and it needs to be known.