My Summer Travels | Teen Ink

My Summer Travels

By Imaginitiveblonde7 SILVER, Williston, Vermont
Imaginitiveblonde7 SILVER, Williston, Vermont

"To love is to live, and to live you must love."

For me, summer can be mundane. I don’t usually go anywhere for
vacation or have a lot going on. My escape is actually quite magical and sits on a shelf in
the library. When I read a book, I become part of the story. I turn into the main characters
and I feel their pain, joy, excitement, fear, everything. I travel into their world. As I walk
the pages of the book the story fills me. I’m no longer in my house curled up on the
couch but soaring across the ocean on a British naval ship of war, strolling along New
York’s bustling streets, scaling a mountain in Peru, or flying with Tinker Bell and Peter
Pan in Neverland. Another way I escape boring summer days is through worlds of my
own creating. I think maybe my pens have mystical powers. When I pick one up a story
pulses through my mind and bursts forth onto the page, pulling me in. I always enjoy it so
much I sometimes think I’m part of the story for real. Of course I always return to the
hot summer day I left behind, sometimes unfortunately, but I hold the joy of knowing I
can always return to the worlds in my imagination by simply picking up a book or pen!

"My Summer Travels" was written for a school assignment, but really I feel like it tells a lot about me! This piece explains what gives me joy, what thrills me. I hope people get to know me better through it. :)