Change School Change Life | Teen Ink

Change School Change Life

“Excuse me, do you know where is the toilet?” A very tall guy who also has white skin and blond hair asked me. “Oh…ah…I-I-I-I not… know!” I responded very roughly. At that moment, I thought of all vocabularies that I have memorized to tell him and lead him to the toilet, but it was too late. In every morning, when I was in middle school, I turned the vocabulary notebook and remembered every single letter that appeared in front of my eyes. I walked to my homeroom teacher. I handed in the notebook that I read to her. I spelled the words that I just remembered in a minute ago, “R-E-F-R-I-G-E-R-A-T-O-R,” and other four words. After I finished, teacher signed me her signature to prove that I already memorized them. “Okay, now you are done. See you again tomorrow with other five words,” teacher reminded me. At the end of every week, in English class we always had review vocabulary quiz. I sometimes failed or at least passed but not well. I realized that to remember every single word was not easy, but this was the way I learned from Thai school.
My mother determined to transfer me into international school. “Ploy, you need to quit as soon as you can,” my mother commanded me. The day after, my mother came to school and asked for all documents that I needed for enterring to the next school. Teachers in the office asked me, “Ploy, where are you going? Why you are leaving this school?” I didn’t know what to say. I felt very sad then my tear flew. I returned back to the class. I sat alone when other friends were playing together. I was thinking whether to tell or not tell them that I am leaving. Eventually, I announced to my friends, “Hey guys, I am going to quit soon!” All of my friends shocked. “Why? Why you quit so immediately? Now is just middle of semester one!” My friend wondered. “Sorry, I have no choice. I need to move because my mother wanted me to study English.” I responded. A week later, I quitted the school and then I attended English cram school for 2 months. I learned how to read and write until I improved. I stilled not brave enough to talk with foreign people. Nowadays, English is essential for our life. Most of people in my country can speak English. These are why my mother and I decided to move to international school for me to get advantage of English skills.
Now, I moved to international school, which I have to study English all the times. From the beginning that I study English, I couldn’t understand anything. Sometimes I misunderstood of the word, so that made the meaning changed. “Right year,” an Indian teacher told me many times. I was confused. Later on, I realized that what he said was just “right here.” Moreover, I have foreign friends from Japan and Korea, they all have different accent. I have talked with them every day in English, so I improved my English speaking skill. In English class, all students have assigned to work for independent reading. I learned a lot of vocabularies from the book. I have listened to American teachers every day, so I improved listening skill. All skill has developed because I am studying in international school.

I am not good in English, so please don;t mind if I made English grammar mistake.

heartsday BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Good luck with your studies !