My quinceñera | Teen Ink

My quinceñera

September 30, 2009
By Mayii BRONZE, Austin, Texas
Mayii BRONZE, Austin, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

A quinceñera is a tradition and there for part of my tradition. I had been looking forward to this important day since I was 6years old. I am now 15 years old and very exited to have had the greatest quinceñera ever. It took place August 8th, 2009 and boy was it stressing to plan this out.

We had been talking about my quinceñera at least six months before. I wasn’t too worried then, but as soon as summer vacation came around I started to panic. I felt pressured just to think about everything that I had to do. I also felt happy to see that y family was exited to help out in everything.

My mom and my sister Isabel were the ones in charge of the decorations for my party. They did everything from buying things online to decorating the hall it self that day. They are both very creative and they spend many hours planning and doing everything! In the other hand my older sister Marleny was in charge of getting my choreography done for the dances I planned out to dance. I had the hardest of all I had to pick out my court of honor and then put my effort in dancing. My dad was bringing in money to help out and my brother Noe was giving out his ideas for everything.

I had been practicing for at least a month in a half and I had no dress yet! So I decided to go dress shopping with my mom and sisters. I have to admit that it didn’t go too well al first. We went to many stores and I just couldn’t find the perfect dress, the size or the colors that I had picked. Finally I picked a dress and 2 weeks later when it arrived tried it on and it just wasn’t what I expected. It was then that my mom and my sisters convinced me to take a trip to Mexico to pick out my dress. We went to Monterrey and I was so exited to see dresses with stars everywhere. I tried out at least ten different dresses and it was then that I found the perfect dress. The colors were brown with turquoise and I didn’t even have to worry about the size. I felt ready for my party!

It was finally August 8th and I was up since 5a.m. My party started at 5pm and ended at 12 midnight. I was very exited and happy. The hall looked fantastic thanks to my family and friends that helped out. Everything ran smooth and my surprise dance that I had been practicing was the best. I took a ride in the limo with my court of honor, my cousin Jocy and my friend Kenndra and we took a lot of pictures. I had never been so exited like that day. I enjoyed my party with family and friends.

As a conclusion my quinceñera has been a dream come true. I know I will remember this day forever. I am very thankful to everyone that helped make this day unforgettable, but most of all I thank my family for making everything possible for me, their little girl.