Guilt | Teen Ink

Guilt

September 30, 2009
By Anonymous

Those blank answers were staring me dead in the face, as if taunting me, ridiculing me for not knowing them. I was a deer in the headlights. The only questions I knew on that entire sheet of paper were Name and Date. What was I supposed to do? There was only 5 minutes of class left on the clock. Oh that incessant clock! Each minute faster then the one before it. Each TICK louder then its last TOCK. Nothing was worse than that clock. I was left with no other option. When I found an opportunity I slowly and carefully leaned my body to my left as much as I could without being noticed. My eyes locked on to a paper and my pen flew against mine. With a second to spear I filled in my final answer, I had cunningly silence the questions that mocked me before.
The next morning everyone tests were handed to them the last five minutes of class, all but one. At first I thought nothing of it, but then I realized, she knew! She knew and she was torturing me. Now more then ever I could here that clock. Its vex ticking and constant tocking was all I could hear until that bell finally rang. Before I could even bolt for the door she called my to her desk. It was clear that I had fallen victim to guilt’s venomous bite. She did not say a word, she sat there with her feet flat her hands together and did not say a word; and she knew exactly what she was doing. She let it eat away at me until I could bare it no longer. My hands were so sweaty they could barely hold on to each other; I had a lump in my throat and a stutter that refrained me from making any coherent sentences. I had no other choice. I couldn’t bare it any longer.