He Likes Me

He likes me.
Everytime I log onto Facebook, or check my cell phone, I see some sort of notification saying he commented on my photo or status, or he tried to call me or texted me for no reason. After being logged onto Facebook for seven seconds, I get a chat message from him; all it says is “hey” or “how about them (Pittsburgh) Penguins!” after we win.

He likes me not.
I asked him once. He denied liking me. He denies it around his friends, around my friends, around nothing. Sometimes he says things that hit me like bullets and totally embarrass me.

He likes me.
I can make fun of him, and he doesn’t mind. He walks with me to some classes, and can’t keep his eyes away from my eyes, until he starts talking. Perhaps he is afraid of my reaction and is nervous of my thoughts and countenance once he starts telling me something. He looks off to the side every time.

He likes me not.
His pride and man-ego pretty much mean that until he swallows it, we aren’t going anywhere. Until he figures out what we could be, we aren’t going anywhere. I can tell he is insecure and vulnerable and lives and dies with what his jerk friends think of him.

He likes me.
He treats me differently and seems to make time for me. His voice changes when talking to me. He laughs at everything. He makes me feel as if I’m the only one in the world. If I’m going somewhere, he says goodbye. That may sound totally normal- for a friend to say goodbye- but from him, it’s not. He just sort of leaves other people, or makes up a reason to leave and runs away.

He likes me not.
I’ve heard him talk about me to his friends, to whom I hate. But it’s a mutual feeling. It hurts to hear him make fun of me.

He likes me.
Once, we got into a huge fight. In the following days, he said he was sorry. But not verbally; he had a look in his eyes, asking, begging for forgiveness.

I could peel a thousand flower petals and go on, but I think I know the answer. I just want to hear it from him.

JerseyLiar9 said...
thanks guys!

fictionlover10 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is exactly how I feel right now- I have a guy who seems to switch between liking me and not though he knows I like him soooo much. Great job! I hope things work out!

noelleism said...
Hey it's me!!
I like the way this is writen. And I love the last line. It must get pretty aggravating for you. Hey we all go through some stuff.

kamenice said...
I thought this was a cute story to read. The way you split the paragraphs and began with, "He likes me..." and ,"He likes me not..." painted the classic picture of a little girl pulling flower petals off of a flower, saying, "He likes me. He likes me not". I also like that you didn't just do it in two paragraphs, but many, as it made it seem like the many petals of a flower. Good job.

writing_chicka_4 said...
Wow, I think he likes you, but doesn't know it. lol. I like the way you wrote it. (: