The Bug | Teen Ink

The Bug

By Ranger BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Ranger BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

It was like any regular night during the summer, I was up late watching TV. When I finally decided to go to bed I was very tired. My brother was in our room playing video games while I was going to bed. I woke up later (my brother still playing games) and it felt like water was in my ear. I tried to shake out the water but the feeling didn’t go away. I finally got up and went in the bathroom to examine my ear.

When I was in there I started to get this feeling of popping pain in my ear. It felt like no pain I ever felt before at, this point I started to scream at the pain. A moment later my brother Jack busted down the door (that I had closed when I went in there). He said, “What’s wrong?” my only reply was screams. Now my parents came and looked at my brother “It wasn’t me!!!” he exclaimed holding up his hands.

They now turned their attention to me (still screaming) and they asked, “ What’s wrong?” Again I answered by screams. After that everything started happening so fast I didn’t know what was going on. First they check where the nearest hospital was. Next thing I knew we were driving there. Along the way the pain lessened but came back with force when we entered the hospital. Now blood was coming out of my ear, as well as bloodcurdling screams coming out of my mouth.
My mom checked me in and they took me to the nearest room. A nurse came in and checked my status then a guy came and did a few simple tests. All through this I was forced to hold in my screams. They then moved me to a different room and a doctor came in. He also did a few tests. Then suddenly he exclaimed with slight horror “Here’s your problem”.
Out of a small trail of blood a long, big, green beetle came out. My pain was instantly relieved, my heavy breathing stopped and my crazed, unblinking eyes seemed to cool down. Everyone was shocked by the news of what happened. I seemed instantly tired and almost dozed off but was awaken. It was the voice of dad saying ‘we better get home.’
The next day I awoke thinking that it was a nightmare,
only to find a hospital band on my wrist.

on Oct. 6 2009 at 10:23 am
struck-by-llamas, Eureka, California
Emagawd! that must have been horrible! I loved the end to this story... but did you ever find out the name of the beetle?