My prom date fiasco. | Teen Ink

My prom date fiasco.

By JustinPrice BRONZE, St. Marys, Georgia
JustinPrice BRONZE, St. Marys, Georgia

Being shy or nervous about finding a prom date is a thing of the past with all the new social networking sites out there. I didn't have a girlfriend and was able to use this website called Prom Date Depot to find a prom date within three days of making a profile. The best part was that two other girls contacted me afterwards and I was able to go to their prom too because they were from different schools and their proms were on different days.

When I went to my junior prom, I did it the old fashioned way and just went around asking girls or asked my other friends if they knew someone who didn't have a date yet. That didn't work too good because I didn't have a huge network and most of the people were already taken. You have a much better chance of finding a date when you know everyone you are asking is single or actively looking for a prom date.
I was once shy about approaching a girl and popping the question about whether or not she would accompany me to the prom. If I asked, she would know that I liked her and then it would be uncomfortable from then on or I would get a devastating "no" and I would have to try to maintain composure and save face. When I asked out the girls online through the website, I got a couple "no's" , but I didn't take it personally and didn't get as scared. By the time I got their answer I had already asked a bunch of other girls. In other words, it didn't hurt my feelings and it didn't bother me too much.

The other thing I like about the website was that people could set a price for being a prom date-sorta like a prom date for hire. Here and there people were offering their "services," anywhere from $25-$300 to accompany you to prom. In general, the people who charged were a lot better looking and I probably would have gone that route, but I was already too broke from renting my tuxedo, buying the tuxedo, and setting reservations for dinner.

My friends thought I was crazy to go to prom with someone I didn't know personally, but it actually made it more exciting. I was able to have a more fulfilling conversation, because I didn't already know everything about the other person and ended up making alot of new friends during the afterparty. We continued to date for year on and off after that date.

It was the one time in my life when I was bold, tried something new, and truly benefitted from it.