Best Friends?

Today my best friend came over, and surprised me. Looking at her made me think about how lucky i was. To have her as a friend, to have her support. She's always been there for me, from the beginning.

I remembered an old quote/saying that i made up. It was an in general remark for another friend, a lesson. I realized that it related to my life, and the closeness of the people around me.

Friends come and go. Good friends come once in a while. Great friends are rare, But BEST FRIENDS, they are a once in a lifetime opportunity!

It's not exact, but it has the same point. It's simple, yet hard to understand it's full meaning.

This is it's meaning to me:
Some say that you can have as many Best friends in life as you want. I think that the max is 2. Why? Because if you have more then one best friend, does that really mean they are the best? The best, is the person that you can count on, no matter what. The person who was there from the start, who's seen it all, start to finish. The ONE person you can count on, or tell anything too. The person you trust the most, and share your life with.

Sure more then one person can have most those qualities, but if they do, which really is the best? The person that fulfills all those qualities and more. They are the once in a life time chance.

If you have more, will that chance be savored? Remembered?
I had a friend, that i used to call the best. She fulfilled all the qualities at the time, or so i thought. Sure i could tell her anything, most of the time. We would talk non-stop until late at night, about everything, and everyone. Then i realized she missed one important quality. She wasn't always fully there for me.

She would dry my tears, sure. She would listen, or seem to listen. Yet, if you asked her a question about it later, she would give you the cold shoulder. I would go all out and listen to her everyword, savoring it, so i could comfert her. In return, if i confronted her, about her, she would ignore me.

She was the one that said she could have as many best friends as she wanted. But, are any really the best?

That's what that quote means to me. It's the jorney to finding that one/two special someone(s) who you can call the "BEST".
Which is why i charish all the moments i spend with my best friend. That surprise vist, all the vactions we've had together. Those are the memories you want to have, with your one speical person. Because, those moments are the moments that you can be yourself. They are the memories that last forever.

What's your take on this lesson? What do you think the quote means? Comment with your take.

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think the quote means that some friends you have for a little while, but then you lose touch and never really miss them. But a best friend is someone who you'll never lose touch with. If they moved to Antarctica you would still write them letters. A best friend has to be trustworthy, fun, and understanding. And I agree that if you have more than one best friend, how can they all be the best? Wouldn't that mean they were just equal friends? BEST friends are extraordinary.

Ritamc replied...
I agree they really are.

jessi said...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 11:22 am
thats good. really makes you think.
personally, i think you can have a few best friends, one girl and one guy usually. so yeah, two.
nice writing!

Ritamc replied...
Thanks, I like your writing too! ;)

jessi replied...
umm... are you my stalker? i havent posted any writing on here... XD
lol...

Ritamc replied...
lol, no. Thought you did. Sorry ;) just trying to be nice. thanks for the comment though!