Indecisiveness | Teen Ink

Indecisiveness

The bus comes to a stop. I say, “Thank you,” to the bus driver. He actually says, “You’re welcome.” He only says that every now and then. I get off my bus and enter the sweltering desert heat. I pick up my binder and use it as a shield to protect myself from the sun’s diligent gaze.

She’s walking behind me. She always does. That girl with the silky blond hair and gorgeous eyes. I mustn’t look at her, but a few glimpses are enough. I dare not see her eye-to-eye for I fear she’ll sense the longing I feel for her. I continue walking towards home. I do not look behind me to check if she’s still there. I lower my binder. Shade. I look off to my right and look into a neighbor’s car. She’s just a few paces behind me. I pick up my binder. Sun. It’s as if she can read my mind. “Does he want me? Will he ask me for my name and a date?” I flinch at the though. Such a wrong desire, but oh, what a feeling! I lower my binder once more. Short-lived shade. I slow my pace. It seems as if she does, too. I move to my right and look off to the left. It’s as if I want her to walk next to me. She’s not coming any closer, but she’s still right behind me. I pick up my binder for the final stretch home. Prolonged sun. I begin sweating, but not because of the blazing heat, but of the nervousness to talk to her. It’s now or never: a few more steps and I’ll take the curve home. Five. Is she interested? Four. How should I begin? Three. Will she just ignore me? Two. Will she reject me? One. What about my love, Tori? I take the curve home.

The same beautiful girl followed me out of the bus every single day since the first day of school.

Tybalt SILVER said...
Tybalt SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida
The best of luck to ya, my friend.