The Soul of Music | Teen Ink

The Soul of Music

By selinazhang07 BRONZE, Sarasota, Florida
selinazhang07 BRONZE, Sarasota, Florida

Struggling with a lack of confidence, I lacked the ability to express my feelings with the exact, right words. Faced with the fear of saying something wrong, I learned to stay silent.

Ever since I was a young girl, I was reserved and shy, rarely ever speaking a word to a stranger.  I was rarely able to express my emotions fully and even simple conversations with acquaintances were a struggle.

But then I learned to play the violin.  I encountered its magical sound when I heard an accomplished young woman bow feverishly, passionately with an orchestra accompanying her. Her beautiful notes danced through the audience, leaving beautiful melodies reverberating. Listening in awe, I knew I wanted to replicate this beautiful music. 

Music needs no words. Through your soul, the flow of music effortlessly connects people, conveying all that could ever be said.

Finding my voice through my violin, I now find that standing in front of audiences excites me. As the music engulfs me, the gift of music becomes easy to give. Once the hair of the bow strikes the string, melodies confidently soar, filling the room. A connection between me and the audience builds, and the feeling of gratification from the audience deeply moves me. 

I am often transported to fond memories and unfulfilled dreams.

Closing my eyes, my thoughts drift off into the distance as I imagine what it would have been like to meet my grandma.  Would she understand me through my music?  What would be her favorite piece?

My fingers move swiftly and mechanically, as they recall muscle memory from countless hours of practice. My previous feelings of nervousness had disappeared completely, leaving me with only a sense of tranquility. 

From timidly playing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” in a cramped recital hall to confidently playing “Bruch’s Violin Concerto” in New York’s Carnegie Hall, my battle with self-confidence showed outstanding improvement.

This, my personal history, was shaped by the violin that transformed me into someone with confidence and the ability to express my true feelings.

My name is Selina Zhang and this is an original piece about my personal history and growth as a person and musician.